Welcome
Welcome to darkrisings

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Wildmage Overhaul

Like a mage, only with backfire.

Post Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:48 pm

Wildmage Overhaul

Wildmages concept is great but their unique spells are simply too unreliable.
I mean...what's not to like about a class that has mirror image, sleep and a summonable?
I"ll answer: dispel - considering how important sanctuary/magic ward are, a backfire can easily cost the wildmage 400 hp. Also, asides from these two spells, there are very few dispellable spells that actually make a huge impact on players (haste and fly to a lesser extent), so a complete dispel isn't really worth having a backfire.

That said, I propose a few changes to the 'wild spells', mostly based on how Templar's Judgment - a spell that should've been wildmage's, given its random nature.

Wild Shield
This spell would be fine if it wasn't for the fact that Armor Class is useless. Fix AC - Wild Shield becomes more attractive.

Wild Enhance
Extra hitroll and damroll for a spellcaster? I'd much rather have a random value buff to a random number of attributes:
Wild Enhance - Increases your <Str/Dex/Int/Wis/Con> by <1-4> for 10 hours [1 - 5 tests]

So a wildmage could end up with something like this:
Wild Enhance - Increases your strength by 4 for 10 hours
Wild Enhance - Increases your intelligence by 3 for 10 hours
Wild Enhance - Increases your constitution by 1 for 10 hours

Wild Aura
I know it can increase and decrease damage taken, but it's really difficult telling its effectiveness.
Even so, it wouldn't hurt to give it a slight buff:
- Whenever it reduces damage taken, it also reflects that damage to the attacker.

Chaos Demon
Why do green demons exist? To offset the angel?
Angel isn't much stronger than a werefolk summon (which has no sickness): three attacks, better damage, no trip or bash
Angel is great for hunting equipment, but red/blue demons actually are more useful in PK

Proposed changes:
Remove green demons
Add chance summoning sickness won't appear

Chaotic Dispersal
Instead of dispelling the wildmage on backfire, have it drain an additional amount of mana from him.
Or...give them dispel magic too.

Wildfire
Wildfire is great.

Post Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:59 pm

Re: Wildmage Overhaul

I like everything you said here, I agree with green demon, you have two demons you can summon that suck, and 3 that are good. The yellow one is a good enough backfire for the wildmage. Get rid of the green demon.

Now what to do with wild shield, since AC is useless.

Post Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:17 pm

Wild shield depends whether Armor Class is fixed or not.

If not (or a more immediate solution), transfer 'wild aura' whole effect to w'ild shield' and give a new one to the aura:
"The wildmage is capable of harnessing the wild energies around him to empower his spells" = random spell caster level increase/decrease (+- 5 is fair?)

Post Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:25 am

Love it.

Post Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:29 am

Wildmages are being look at for an overhaul, though it's less immediate due to the amount of work required to do it. I do, however, like your ideas, and will be bringing them up during the process.

Post Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:10 pm

Dude. Am I the only person in this game that recognizes many wild mage spells stack?

Also the green demon you guys want to get rid of actually serves a valid IC reason.

The templar spell works like it does, intelligently, because it is divine in nature. It is not completely random.

Many of wildmages spells work in ways that people don't seem to recognize. For example wildfire, you have a spell that works even if a mob is flagged immune to magic. Yes that's right. Wildfire works when only weapons do.

The dispel ability has a chance of backfiring because it has a chance at working really really well.

Likewise, summon has a chance of bringing you to them if I recall properly OR summoning them to you blinded.

Heal can make it so you do significantly higher healing or, it can hurt you.

IF you want to tweak the rates fine. But the chaotic nature of wildmage is what makes them so damned freaking awesome. It was never meant to be a class for everyone.

Now if you want to make them much cooler, give them a spell that allows you to affect the success/failure rates on other players. For example you cast this on someone and for a period of time they are cursed with casting rates similar to being drunk. (Which is something like 1 in 3 failure even at 100%).

Post Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:18 pm

By the way, the Angel does Holy damage. Actualy I believe Bonnie updated the helpfile to include elemental damtypes etc with them after I submitted the helpfile.

Anyways, yes charmies can be redirected etc in combat. Holy however has several people who are vuln. If you want to change the green, get rid of summoning sickness on it and leave the rest of it alone.

How about giving wildmages a summoned weapon of a random damtype OR a random addaffect. (Cycle through vorpal, shocking, freezing, flaming, poison, etc.)

Post Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:43 am

Fair points seagro

Post Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:24 am

seagro wrote:The templar spell works like it does, intelligently, because it is divine in nature. It is not completely random.

Many of wildmages spells work in ways that people don't seem to recognize. For example wildfire, you have a spell that works even if a mob is flagged immune to magic. Yes that's right. Wildfire works when only weapons do.

The dispel ability has a chance of backfiring because it has a chance at working really really well.

Likewise, summon has a chance of bringing you to them if I recall properly OR summoning them to you blinded.

Heal can make it so you do significantly higher healing or, it can hurt you.

IF you want to tweak the rates fine. But the chaotic nature of wildmage is what makes them so damned freaking awesome. It was never meant to be a class for everyone..
Pretty weird argument for templar's judgment. The only 'intelligent' portion of it is the coding, the maledictions are random.

Templars are the most displaced class in the game: they were designed as fighters, but were overloaded with spells that make them much closer to hybrids.
But it doesn't stop there! They were also given spells with casting times closer to mage's, the epitome of spellcasters.
Finally, since they rely so much on spells and have fighter's mana gains and regen, they are constantly mana starved, see Templar Mana thread. #rant

Yes, Wildfire is great but it could be as fast as elementals.

Chaotic Dispersal bumps into the fact that we barely need more than 3 spells for combat: magic ward + sanctuary + haste (monsters only got sanc + haste). So the wildmage is spending a round casting a dispel that can backfire, while templars can cast 2+ dispels per round, which opens the possibility of doing dispel + bash/harrows. It's a matter of economy of time.

Wild Summon also has a chance of not showing the target the 'being summoned' message. It's great.

Wild Heal is a mess. Why does it have to deal damage? It's a healing spell! You'd have to be really desperate to cast it in a risky situation.

I would be fine with Green Demons if Angels had trip or bash, making them the strongest pet.

Post Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:09 pm

I agree with wild heal. black haze could effectively be changed to not damage the wildmage, but let them suffer the cost of the spell still.

I think angels would be cool if they smited. I don't mind blue and red demons holding the tripping and bashing fort.

I hate green demons... why do they have to poison the wildmage so much. It sucks.
Next

Return to Wildmage