Welcome
Welcome to darkrisings

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Weaponsmithing

Because you never know.

Post Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:03 pm

Weaponsmithing

...Kind of self explanatory. You gather various items....and create a weapon with it. I'm not sure of specifics on weapon strength, but I would say at LEAST on par your typical average 40 weapons.

Things to consider are vuln hitting weapons and vorpal/sharp.

Post Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:09 pm

Re: Weaponsmithing

Question on vuln hitting - Are we willing to finally allow weapons based on vulns to exist / not be quest weapons? (ie. Drow vuln). Is there a reason past "It's special" to consider for why they haven't been allowed to this point? For example, does light do something we don't know about in addition to being a damnoun that drows are weak to?
Yeah? Well, you know, that's just like, your OPINION, man.

Post Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:02 pm

Honestly? No idea. I'm simply thinking at this point, I haven't started delving into the possible problems. As far as I *know* it's simply light damage, and the race is vuln to it, with no additional effects. If this idea gains traction, I can look into the details, but it's not quite anywhere near the priority list at the moment.

Post Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:11 pm

No but with the long standing hesitancy to release damnouns outside of some rare quest pieces, I just wanted to make sure that was a rabbit hole that's good to go down, it's a very specific part of the whole idea, but I didn't want it to derail the rest of the idea potentially (as it gives a TON of incentive for someone to want to spend the money on the tradeskill - you KNOW you'll make it back with some damnouns for what I'd think to be considerable work on the other side).

Past that, it strikes me as a good idea if there was a well reasoned system behind it to avoid some of the pitfalls current tradeskills have faced.
Yeah? Well, you know, that's just like, your OPINION, man.

Post Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:06 pm

The game used to have a stock light weapon on Azaward, nothing out of the ordinary.

It would be a good idea. Perhaps allow players to only craft weapons they are proficient with.

Vuln-hitting weapons would most likely need some downsides, such as lower avg damage, higher weight, no nodrop/noremove...
Same can be said about sharp and vorpal weapons. They need some some counterplay.

Post Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:33 pm

Envenom wrote:Same can be said about sharp and vorpal weapons. They need some some counterplay.

There is already the requirement that these items cannot be higher than avg 32 (stock). Do you feel they need additional restrictions?

Post Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:03 am

I'm not really experienced with vorpal so my logic might be flawed but here's what I got:

Lower average is the easiest downside a vorpal weapon can have. Why?
Vorpal was designed as a caster flag - the 'more caster' a class is, the stronger (or more attractive) vorpal is
Furthermore, as you move towards the extremes of the caster spectrum, melee becomes less and less useful
Since vorpal has a fixed cooldown, casters don't have to worry with landing many attacks per round (specially because our Hit Roll is so relatively high in comparisson to Armor Class that all attacks roll directly against parry/dodge/shield block)
And since it is a simple spell cast, they don't have to worry with weapon damage [unless it is based on it - I really don't know]
Even without vorpal, most casters already run without haste. It's a win-win situation.

I seriously wouldn't mind if average 40 vorpal weapons existed, as long as they were disarmable or weighted 15-20.

Post Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:07 pm

I can shed light on the system of racial vulnerabilities and their availability, though it isn't anything terribly secretive. It has always been a simple matter of balance. For example sylvans are resistant to magic, which is a great enough benefit to justify their vuln being widely available, albeit in 2-handed form. Drows, however, do not have any benefits which would justify their vuln being available. It's important to note that racial vulnerabilities increase damage a LOT.
“Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one.”

~ Marcus Aurelius

Post Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:11 pm

Iron's also available on sword (iron scimitar) with avg 32. But it's alright since it weights 15 and has no cursed flags.

I think a portion of racial vuln balance also comes from their shifted forms and that's where things become harder to weight.
Drows probably received the light stock due to the popularity of their weres, which have magic resistance and a summonable.
I believe merfolks are far stronger at these aspects and lost their racial vulns for the same reasons.
Despite both races having a stock vuln, once they shifted, they actually took less damage since light/lightning/etc were all magic damnouns...

Post Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:49 am

I love this idea. It would be fun to be able to craft your own weapon.

In terms of vorpal or sharps... I think it would be sweet to add mprogs which make the player go out on a series of related quests to gather the items to temper, or magically imbue their dull crafted weapon into something more fitting for their profession or usage.

Return to New Tradeskill ideas