Welcome
Welcome to darkrisings

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Stat caps

Approved ideas in progress for implementation.

Post Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:11 am

Stat caps

If you read help class2, it specifically states that the cap for any stat is 27. This, however, is not true as we all know. If your race/class cap is 25, and your gear adds to a total of 30, then you "cap" is 25, but your OVERcap is 30.

This can be seen when a level 50 weakens someone. The strength reduction is -10. Yet you(the person weakened) would only be down to 20, because of the +5 OVERcap.

I looked into gear today(all stock) and was able to stack up to 50 strength. This 100% negates any strength reduction PK tactics.

Our suggestion is to reinstate the hard cap per the race/class combo(per help class2). This would place everyone back on a KNOWN playing field, as well as reintroducing a few spells in the PK arsenal.

Thoughts?

Post Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:23 am

Re: Stat caps

This is a solid idea (even though my toons benefit from being something like 15 str over cap), but it may be necessary to look at rebalancing some stock equipment as well as how quest equipment is designed so it isn't as stat heavy by default.
Yeah? Well, you know, that's just like, your OPINION, man.

Post Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:34 am

Stock equipment isn't a huge issue in regards to this, as it is all relatively balanced(I have a spreadsheet with most of the level 50 gear on it). The quest equipment needs to be looked at for other reasons, but most of it is trash, and what isn't trash is ridiculously overpowered compared to the other quest eq.

Post Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:27 am

IF stats are going to be capped off, how should points end up rebalanced (I realize this is a giant, open ended question)? A vast amount of stock and quest eq is heavily loaded with str and dex, and if you can't overcap effectively it strikes me that most gear would full of wasted points and no options.

Post Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:17 pm

If this were to be hard-coded in, would anything else really require being reworked? It affects very little, after all the weaken and spell is so inefficient where mana cost and likelihood to land are concerned that veteran fighters know better than to waste their time with it anyway...unless they just like toying with someone who is slept. OVERcap, as you refer to it, does not allow us to hold more weight, more items, or (presumably) affect pk checks in the code, or even cause us to regenerate stats faster.
“Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one.”

~ Marcus Aurelius

Post Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:42 pm

As an experienced PK'er, if I know the OVERcap is removed at a draco/class combo has a hard str cap of 25 and I have poison/plague/weaken available...I would absolutely use it to remove your weapon. As far as the widespread affects of the change if it goes in....TBD.

Post Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:14 am

YES, please!
Before anything, stacking attributes beyond the allowed maximum of your race/class shouldn't grant any benefit.
Currently, a 'puny' character with 20 maximum strength can virtually have 36 strength through gear and buffs. The result is that, even wielding a heavy-*** sword (weight 16), someone would have to drop puny's strength by 20: something like weaken (-10), plague (-5), fester (-2), 2 poison stacks (-2 -2) - that's 3-5 spells landing in a relatively small window of time because fester doesn't last long and plague/poison can be easily healed...I'd probably get better results from spamming blindness...

Then there's also the issue of players being able to get any item out of their containers, regardless of amount of Strength (lowering strength decreases carrying weight capacity).
Meanwhile, if the same player has his Dexterity lowered by a significant amount (Dexterity influences maximum number of items carried), he can't get items out of containers.
- cross rant from the "Armor Class" thread
That second portion is also pretty important. In a PKing perspective, it seriously cripples any attempt of relying on potions/baked goods from within containers.

As for the effectiveness on PKing...
I'm certain that weaken would become on par with blindness/curse and change the playstyle of a couple of classes:
Suddenly a character that was used to wielding a weight 15-16 (or 20) weapon, will have to consider either wielding something lighter (MAX_STR - 10 to resist a weaken) or wield the heavy weapon with whatever additional perks it has...be it vorpal, a specific vuln, guild weapon, your call.

Post Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:31 pm

In talking with someone in game, I may have stumbled on an easy way to address stat overcaps.

Currently, if a character has 40 strength, and they are weakened (-10 Str), they're at 30, and per their score page, are still just at their racial max.

Why don't we make it so that spells and effects that lower your stats hit your MAX stat, not your current (similar to how harm touch works)?

Example: A kine warrior is fighting in combat. He has a max STR value of 25. His opponent lands weaken for -10 to STR. Instead of dropping the warriors current value to 15, as it does now (which can be offset by overcapping stats), why not drop the MAX STR value from 25 to 15? All the +STR gear in the world won't help you overcome a new, lower max.

In general, this could be used for any stat hitting ability, and may be an easier solution for fixing overcapping than trying to have the code 'disregard' higher amounts of a stat.

Post Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:03 pm

That's probably the easiest way of implementing it.

It would certainly require a discussion on how it would affect weapons.
I know a couple of players don't really like the idea of 'losing' a weapon or having someone steal it through strength dropping.

However, that would be easily fixed if the nodrop flag prevented players from dropping weapons over strength loss.
Would even make nodrop a relevant flag because it's slightly useless when compared to noremove or sticky.

Post Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:07 am

Some thoughts here on Stat caps:
* Max Stat affects (HARD cap at 27-31, per stat)

* Having stats maxed (These affects would occur at your CHAR's maxstat, not at 27)
- Strength (10% melee damage increase)
- Dexterity (20% increased move regen)
- Intelligence (If not maxed, 10% spell failure)
- Wisdom (10% increased resistance to dispel, chaotic, inquisition)
- Constitution (20% resistance to disease)

Additionally, we are looking at making these stats more instrumental in how spells and skills work, but we're not there yet on how to go about it. (Example: Str/Dex/Con checks for trip/bash/disarm, Int/Wis checks for spells)
Next

Return to In Progress