Welcome
Welcome to darkrisings

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Racial Abilities / Changes in Creation

wtb Beholders.

Post Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:32 am

Racial Abilities / Changes in Creation

After speaking with Kes, there are some changes coming to the racial benefits that currently exist. If a race currently is granted a specific set of skills (ie. fast healing, sneak, etc) the bonus will be integrated into the new creation code. Therefore you're not losing anything, but it stands to say that there is room to re-create what racial benefits currently exist.

Therefore, I'd like to start fielding ideas to come up with a new trait or skill for each of the races that exist. Something that both fits into their racial RP and is an appropriate active or passive ability for either a caster or melee character.

As ideas are bounced around, I'll update this top post with information per race. Only a hand full of classes currently still have a true 'advantage', and I'll list them as well. I will not include racial vulns/resists in this list as I feel they should be their own discussion.

Avariel - Current: Perm Fly
    Draconian - Current: Huge Race (Wields 2h weapons as a 1h, Bash Bonus)
    Drow - Current: Blindfighting (No idea what this does)
    Dwarf -
    Half-Elf -
    Werekin -
    Kine -
    Lich -
    Merfolk - Current: Boat
    Ogre - Current: Huge Race (Wields 2h weapons as a 1h, Bash Bonus)
    Orc -
    Sylvan -
    Githyanki - Current: Perm Invisbility
    Kender - Current: Immune Fear
Last edited by Some Guy on Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yeah? Well, you know, that's just like, your OPINION, man.

Post Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:47 am

Re: Racial Abilities / Changes in Creation

Just ideas not sure about balancing just things that might make sense...maybe.
Avariel- perma fly (might be op)
Drow- Immune to negative blind effects in combat (but still can't see)
Dwarf- Resist to trip or bash since they are only a few feet off the ground to start with

Post Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:48 am

Oh right, I forgot the Avariel and Drow ones that currently exist. Let me add those.

Post Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:01 pm

Merfolk has permanent boat.
Sylvan and Dwarf has magical resistance.
Drow has blindfighting, which I can only guess that negates blind fighting penalties.

I think that's fairly difficult to balance because there's also racial gains, attributes, resistances/vulnerabilities and weres in the equation.

It's pretty important to not overlook weres because they are pretty game-changers. Wing buffet, summonables, touch of death, magic resistance are all pretty good...

Post Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:06 pm

AFAIK Were's will be address on their own the same way vuln/resists have been (right now, every race can be hit with a vuln weapon except Kine/Werekin, and only Dwarves are screwed by 2 classes hitting their vuln with a spell [Nerf Mages]), which is why I want to keep them out of the conversation right now.

Let me add boat on as well.

Post Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:20 pm

Half-elves have no vuln either but they somewhat fall in the same "normal guys" role as kines/werekines

Now the race that has no vuln and is somewhat special: merfolks.
[change from May-2008: avariels and merfolk vulns have changed from fire and thunder. Avariels have a new vuln called "wind" which you can expect to see popping up on a stock weapon or two (of a strength comparable to the flame whip), and merfolk are now vuln to acid.]
[change from Oct-2008: The merfolk vuln to acid has now been removed due to popular request.]

Acid indeed was too harsh due how common the damnoun is, plus acid blast.
Lightning only had 1-2 stock weapons but there was chain lightning (thunderclap dealt energy until acid vuln was implemented).

So yea...I think it's time they receive their vuln back.

Post Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:05 pm

Ya I wan'ted to say something about merfolks but I wasn't sure if this was the place. Merfolks also have the best leveling gains as well, the best were summonable in the game, perma boat, and no vuln. So ya, something should be happening here.

Post Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:23 pm

From the above list it looks like any elemental strengths/vulnerabilities are non-existent. Is that up for discussion, or is there general consensus to leave that alone now? I know they previously existed and have since been removed.

Post Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:38 pm

I'm not wanting to touch vulns or resists for the purpose of this thread. It's not a bad topic to discuss, it's just a different beast than what I'm trying to tackle here. I'm wanting to come up with *new* racial active or passive abilities to start to give races more variance and flavor.

Post Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:56 am

dwarf - 'small angry man syndrome' - free automated cast of 'fury' or 'adrenaline rush' or some such spell when hp reaches x%
half-elf - 'where do I belong?!' - choose between kine or sylvan ability at creation
Next

Return to New Race Ideas