Welcome
Welcome to darkrisings

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Meerkats or honey badgers

Furries. Sometimes scales. And all spiders should die.

Post Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:10 pm

Meerkats or honey badgers

This is Dijj's idea. But she hasn't posted it. I don't know if she was joking around, but she suggested changing the kender were from a meerkat to a honey badger.

I support this because: meerkat is a distinctly African creature. But none of the other animals in featured in the game hail from distinctly African lineages (and before you say lion, there is a historical reason why they feature so heavily in medieval literature--lions existed in Europe and Asia Minor until very recent history) (or at least not of the obvious ones... no zebra, rhino, hippo, giraffe, etc.).

Now, I realize the menagerie of planet Earth is not precisely the menagerie of Rhia. Buuuut... meerkat seems sort of needlessly out of place to me. Maybe it's just me, but every time I see it on the weretable, I just find it... odd. (And not odd for the right reasons.)

Besides. Honey badger. Were ability: furiously dig for grubs. That last bit is a joke, but the rest is for real.

Post Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:45 pm

Re: Meerkats or honey badgers

I'd rather see even more stuff that breaks from Generic Gothic Medieval Tolkien Fantasy than less. Similar vein, I want to build an area that plays with eastern themes.

How long is "lol honey badger" really going to stay funny?

Post Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:14 pm

Oh, is there some meme? Nevermind then. I was just thinking about the actual animal, honey badger.

And I'd be for breaks from the medieval fantasy, as well (eastern is good--near or far), in more fully implemented fashion than just sticking a meerkat in the game because it breaks convention (and I realize that this is precisely what you mean). The meerkat just doesn't seem well supported... if the savannah were actually fleshed out into a real area, rather than a break space, then I'd be much more inclined to accept meerkat.

Post Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:15 pm

Yeah? Well, you know, that's just like, your OPINION, man.

Post Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:49 am

A honeybadger is actually quite aggressive and can instil fear in its prey and also in humans if they're unfamiliar with their nature.

I understand your point of view regarding meerkat's and their country of habitat. But considering kenders (concerning the helpfile) are curious, light hearted good fearless folk, meerkats fit in perfect line with that.

They are family orientated, barking, squealing and chittering to eachother. Whilst also barking to alert of danger.

I'm not saying its a horrible idea. But it definitely then begs for the kender race to be revamped entirely in my mind. A honey badger is definitely not family orientated and is actually exclusively a loner based on its habits, unless accompanied by a mate.

So then you'll need to revise the kender were luxury of summon meerkats and find an alternative.

Post Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:09 pm

R.e. the eastern theme - I've always found the red sands to have that vibe about it.

Post Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:38 pm

I agree with you Yuneo. Not to mention other low level areas such as sands of sorrow, the great pyramid.

Return to Werecreatures