Welcome
Welcome to darkrisings

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

What is a Sea Devil?

Furries. Sometimes scales. And all spiders should die.

Post Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:57 pm

Re: Drow Were

(Just a quick aside, Flestiraef--I have absolutely *no* idea what a sea devil is. It's part of the reason having a mer-were has never, ever appealed to me.)

Post Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:58 pm

Good point Alezar... sea devils change in appearance in various myths and legends.

I always thought it was related to mermaids who actually had a monstrous form when devouring their male victims. But that is also referred to as 'she-devil'. So at times I myself have no idea what a sea devil really is.

Post Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:31 pm

What is a Sea Devil?

See, and I was thinking some like a manta ray. Which shows you just how ambiguous the term is. But this is a drow were thread. Maybe we should start a mer-were thread? Got any ideas, Hrob? I just have confusion (what the heck is a sea devil?).

Post Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:46 pm

Merfolk should become selkies, so cute and furry!!

Post Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:38 pm

Isn't that the whole point of descriptions? It's what you want it to be.

Post Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:39 am

Personally I think a sea devil is a general term used for great monsters of the sea.

Kraken, Sea serpent etc.

Selkies could work, they aren't all that cute according to certain myths. Very similar to mermaids in many aspects.

There is also a sea horse in Norwegian myth which would lure children onto it back, getting stuck on its scaly hide and drowned as the horse returned into the sea.

There is just so many sea monsters out there.

Post Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:41 pm

I would disagree with this assessment, Fearitself (not bothering to type this backward, sorry): "Isn't that the whole point of descriptions? It's what you want it to be."

I think the whole point of descriptions is to make something particular from a general concept. We all know what an elf generally looks like, and if you wrote an elf as a draconian, you wouldn't be approved. But the ambiguity of "sea devil" allows for something comparable: a description with no general concept. I'm all for people using the descriptions to craft interesting and unique takes on archetypes, but there's no archetype with sea devil (as the discussion thread itself proved--selkies, kraken, manta rays were all mentioned, and, uh, those ain't variations on a single theme, ya know?). I'm sorry to continue to get off the topic of drow weres (they're fine--see I commented on it again).

I realize I'm asking for an imposition on creative freedom. Generally, I am all for this. But I think part of the appeal of the game for me is working with and subverting the archetypes I mentioned above. For, for me to want to play as a were, from an RP standpoint, I want to know what general concept or archetype I'm working within/against (keeping in mind that I can only work against it up to a point).

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if all races had a help _____ic like lich does, if perhaps a little less restrictive. You want to play as a smart orc. Okay, but you should have to think about why your character goes against type. Ditto dumb elf, etc. People already do do this, to an extent, but I wouldn't mind if that extent had a little greater purview. Race is an interesting part of the game that's underdeveloped. Outside of racism, which is pretty dull RP to do and to experience. It's easy to come up with a reason to hate a race, but why do you love them? Weird rant over.

Post Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:47 pm

Yuneo wrote:Merfolk should become selkies, so cute and furry!!

This is an awesome idea and if I ever roll a mer-were this is what my version of "sea devil" is going to be.

Post Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:26 pm

Re: What is a Sea Devil?

But since the whole point of this thread, for me, is the problem with the phrase "my version of 'sea devil'"--why not switch it to selkie? Or kraken? Just something definite. Both of these (extremes) seem like valid options, and I endorse either one over "sea devil."

I mean, would it be cool if we switched the kine were to "land monster" or the drow were to "crawly stuff"?

Post Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: What is a Sea Devil?

Looking up sea devil in the dictionary simply sates 'manta'. Which is quite obvious if you look at the many merfolk weres we've had on DR none shift into a giant manta.

I do kind of agree to make their shifted form have a specific type so all can visualise it. But I also think as merfolk come from the sea, from high above as sea dwellers in villages, (similar to the sea gypsy people in real life) Or they inhabit the deep underwater caverns. I feel a merfolk were has a right to describe their full shifted form in whatever monstrous form which 'defines' their RP.

I would prefer we changed the Sea devil to Sea monster. So people can have flexibility in creating a full shifted description without being labelled 'this' or 'that'.

The other races all have well recognised animals, kine - tiger, werekin - wolf, kender - meerkat, drow - spider, orc - boar, ogre - bear, draco - dragon, lich - dracolich, sylvan - lynx, half-elf - panther, avariel - condor.

To me a player as a right to distort the appearance of their full shifted animal form to enhance their own personal RP. A draco were could easily shift into a frost dragon or any other elemental dragon (This would be enhanced if draconians actually got a low damaged breathe skill). Werekin weres don't just have to shift into a wolf, it could be wolf with a particular fur which sets it apart from others. Drows have a so much potential fun with their full shifted descs - They can easily use any type of spider as their inspiration.
Next

Return to Werecreatures