Welcome
Welcome to darkrisings

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Dread Knight

Yeti, anyone? Anyone?

Post Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:08 pm

Dread Knight

Looking at our classes, one can attempt to classify them per niche, such as in this table:
Niche .. Might .... Magic ; couldn't find a spot for monk & warrior
------------------------------
"Pure" .. Barbarian . Mage ; the extremes of the spectrum
Nature . Ranger .... Druid
Holy ... Templar ... Cleric
Mind ... Warlock ... Psionicist ; mind and mental being similars
Urban .. Rogue ..... Bard ; not exactly opposites but both jack of all trades
Death .. ???????? .... Necromancer
Chaos .. ???????? .... Wildmage

As it can be seen, we are currently lacking might classes that revolve around 'chaos' and 'death' - together, they are perfect for some sadistic fighter.
Skills and spells could involve sculpting their flesh and bones, flaying foes, striking their souls...you get it, dark gory stuff

Some quick ideas:
Bone Spikes - bones protrude from your body, damaging melee attackers = thorns
Soul Shackles - ensares your opponent's soul, preventing transportation = quick curse
Transfusion - slowly drain the lifeforce of your target, damaging him while healing yourself = damage over time lifetap
Corpse Bomb - places a bomb on the target that detonates after some time, damaging everyone nearby
Sadism - deals more damage, the hurter the opponent is = execute skill
Sunder limb - attempts to sever a limb; arms = wither limb cast; legs = cripples moves
Flay - rips apart the opponent's skin, causing bleeding over time; multiple flayings increase the bleed

Add third attack, trip, maledictions (or only dirt kick since there's already a curse), maybe shield of skulls...

Post Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:09 pm

Re: Dread Knight

I've always thought a "black paladin" class would be a great fit too.
“Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one.”

~ Marcus Aurelius

Post Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:40 am

If a 'black paladin' or Death knight is considered, then I also think a 'white paladin' or holy knight should be considered also.

As of right now, when the introduction of Templars were imp'd the admin and head staff at the time exclusively stated that Templars were NOT paladin's. However, I as well as others I believe were kinda disappointed at that statement.

I've seen on plenty of other muds the tension created with dark knight and white knight classes. And as DR is an RP mud it would make sense to introduce such tension into the game. Without restricting it to Following a deity.

Post Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:53 am

As a second thought on the concept. Considering there is a lack of 'alignment' per se within DR. Both a Dark/death knight and white/holy knight might be able to detect deity. This spell or skill would allow the classes to sense which deity a PC/NPC worships, and if there is no aura, then the two classes would know the NPC/PC would worship none, as the game currently offers as a choice.

In terms of establishing a new class. I would like to think the RP behind the class would take priority over fancy skills/spells unique to that class. But that's my opinion of course.

Post Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:26 am

Depending on how we see wildmages, I mean. Are we strictly basing wildmages on classic D&D with chaos surges which allowed them to cast extremely powerful, yet random spells. Or is it an extreme loosely based impression of that?

As a fighter type for chaos. What about this?..

Berserker - Akin to barbarians to some degree. But instead of becoming enraged. The berserker goes into a wild fury.

Wild fury - Works much similar to wild aura, however, whilst in effect will be a unaffected by dispel or cancellation. Whilst affected by this wild fury. The berserker's critical strikes, enhanced damage will be dramatically increased. As well as having a surge to hit and dam the same as frenzy 8/8, though without frenzy's AC handicap.

Wild bash - A berserker's wild bash as a minimal chance to do critical damage on impact. Throwing their weight around, as well as flinging their weapon and shield after impact.

Post Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:41 am

Extreme loosely based impression of D&D's. Wildmage's kit is a mess but it's probably being looked at.

Berserker is a good idea!

Frenzied Berseker's description from Neverwinter Nights 2 shows how perfect it would fit the 'chaos fighter' theme:
The random madness of the thunderstorm and the unpredictability of the slaadi come together in the soul of the frenzied berserker. Unlike most other characters, they do not fight to achieve a heroic goal or defeat a loathsome villain. Those are mere excuses -- it is the thrill of combat that draws them. For the frenzied berserker, the insanity of battle is like an addictive drug -- they must constantly seek out more conflict to feed their craving for battle (http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Frenzied_Berserker)

Wild fury could be named as berseker, no need to have wildmage-like names. Have the skill bonuses be higher the lower the berseker's health.

Barbarians have serious issues with tagging, what if wild bash had a chance of having a lower casting lag at the cost of dealing some damage to the berseker.

It's a cool concept.

Return to New Class Ideas