Welcome
Welcome to darkrisings

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Traps

You know nothing Jon Snow.

Post Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:09 am

Traps

I think adding the ability to craft and set traps would really add to the depth and flavor of playing a ranger. Make it feel like you're really playing a outdoor nature warrior that takes **** from no one and shoots (chain)lighting out your ***. It could just be tacked on to fletching and then have fletching renamed to something like 'survivalism' or something.

So here's my idea, rangers can set traps they crafted in a room. Only 1 trap may be active at a time. There'll be many types of traps for different situation from doing a certain type of damage, doing area damage, rooting the target in place for 1-2 rounds (unable to move but still able to cast etc), having a chance to cause certain status effects(like a 1 tick slow or poison/plague), or just straight up doing some damage.

Here's how it'd work: you (ranger) set a trap in a non-safe room with a target in mind. Command example: set [trap name] NoPantsuAndrew. The trap will only trigger for this target so nobody else can walk by and trigger it. Setting a trap while out of combat will incur a 1 (or less) round lag while setting a trap while you are fighting will incur a 2 round lag (to deter rangers from using traps over arrows while in combat). Each time the target walks into the room or portal/teleport into the room, there will be a X% chance the trap will trigger (probably determined by the targets dexterity). The trap will be hidden but each time the target enters the room, the target will perform a sorta 'spot check' (maybe modified by how much wisdom the target has). If the target passes the check, they'll be able to see the trap and destroy it by hitting it.

Post Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:09 pm

Re: Traps

Interesting idea, though the main issue I see with it is setting a trap at meshra and then keeping a person in fightlag. The "probability" of it hitting does lessen that problem considerably though. Also, I don't know how possible it is to be able to set a target or a single person.

Post Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:28 am

Problem is.. rangers are already capable of not taking **** from anyone. They can easily shut shoot a sleep arrow.

With traps, I don't think you could set it to target. It would just be there in the room, undetectable to all but rangers.

Post Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:14 pm

Hrobshur wrote:With traps, I don't think you could set it to target. It would just be there in the room, undetectable to all but rangers.

I'd like to see rogues be able to detect it as well.

Post Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:14 pm

How would this be used in PVM?

Post Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:28 pm

Good point Spidertown. Maybe only rogues and rangers will be able to both detect traps, as well as plant them. Maybe even disable them also.

Post Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:17 am

Why would rogues be able to detect traps, but not any other class? We can all detect "hidden" and "invisible" things innately, you know.

Post Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:09 am

The same reasons not everyone can gate, or cast mirror image - it offers something new for certain classes to interact with one another, in unique and exclusive ways. It's not unreasonable to think a rogue would be more apt to detect a trap than a necromancer.

On the other side of that, I'm not against the use of detect hidden to detect a trap, that also makes sense - maybe a way to 'see' it if you have detect hidden and scan the area. But I'd still leave the ability to disable to ranger and rogue.

Post Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:22 am

If one were to look at classes with peek as characters with a keen eye to details, then it would make sense if they were able to detect traps.

I like the traps idea but wouldn't make it rangers exclusive: for instance, rogues are supposed to be the masters of stealth/ambushing.
Noecromancers could also create their own twisted traps using corpses and whatnot.

Post Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:14 pm

It depends on how you perceive the necro class. Personally I think giving them a spell to explode a corpse would be better.

I think rogues and rangers should be able to make traps. Rangers perhaps more maiming traps like how the traps hunters use for prey, whilst rogues I think could make more complicated traps which can trigger a poisoning effect based on a % chance. But I agree with spidertown, only them two should be able to disable traps as they are the only ones who should be able to install them.
Next

Return to Ranger