Welcome
Welcome to darkrisings

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Soul Gems - Uses

Archive of ideas that have been implemented or refused.

Post Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:17 am

Soul Gems - Uses

Also under soul gems - some up with perks that cost less gems to give people more incentive to collect, and USE, soul gems.

- 10 gems for a VIP pass to Esme's
- 5 gems to get any stock item, 10 for a weapon
- 5 gems to enter a duel (see duel idea)
- 5-10 gems to get an item uncursed/recursed/mess with these flags in general
- 5-10 gems to get set X amount of points in a skill or tradeskill

I'm sure there's at least another dozen possibilities out there.

Post Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:51 pm

Re: Soul Gems - Uses

I would add:
- 5 gems for successful Enchant Armor
- 10 gems for successsful Enchant Weapon
- 10 gems to add nodrop OR noremove to any item
- 20 gems to add nouncurse to any item

Hell...could even go for some higher values that require a more serious commitment, such as:
- 30 gems to change an item's slot (a.k.a. relocate)
- 30 gems to change a weapon's type (sword -> hand to hand)
- 40 gems to add sticky to any weapon
- 50 gems to add sharp/vorpal to any weapon
- 60 gems to add poison/frost/flaming/shocking...

Post Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:53 pm

It was also approved to have soul gems add sticky some time back, but it was I think 15 top or normal weapon stuff, and could be added in a separate transaction for 20 gems without the rest of the cost.

Changing types and slot are currently part of the soul gems rewards per the notice you can ask an imm for.
Yeah? Well, you know, that's just like, your OPINION, man.

Post Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:23 am

Oh yea, I knew something like this existed.

Should add a helpfile for that notice btw.
One that is mentioned on help soul gems too :D

Post Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:46 pm

Envenom wrote:Should add a helpfile for that notice btw.
One that is mentioned on help soul gems too :D

see 'help soul gem uses'.

Post Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:45 am

Are there any other ideas out there for how to use soul gems in the game? We've added a small use for them for master tailoring, but nothing large enough to make an impact. What achievement or reward would be worth it to collect 5 soul gems? 10?

Post Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:59 am

Pay for housing.

Post Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:02 pm

Soul Gems Drop Rates

Same introduction as on the "tailoring materials" thread (materials-drop-rates-t162.html)

Their current drop-rates (11.11%) make collecting them incredibly frustrating

My statistics calcs might be way off but in order of getting 40 gems, the player would have to kill around 500 monsters
If it takes 15 minutes to kill a monster, it would take the player 125 hours to do that.
Saving 4 hours a day for that, it would still take almost a month.
A MONTH worth of playtime...to trade for marginal improvements on items, vorpal/sharp/nouncurse/sticky being the major ones.

I don't think anyone has neither time or patience for doing that nowadays so why can't the drop rates be really high or even 100%?
Killing 40-60 different monsters is already some serious commitment, players shouldn't have to kill them 5-10 times for a gem.

What do you guys think about it? Have you guys ever tried collecting soul gems through mob hunting?

Post Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Soul Gems Drop Rates

Wasn't the drop rate changed to scale with HP? I could have swore it actually went in even though I don't see any soul-gem related changes. Maybe it never was. I found the thread about it, though: post479.html

Doing some (probably wrong) math, though...

Let's enter fantasy land for a moment where every soul gem has a 50% drop rate. 50% is a pretty dang generous drop rate compared to 11.11%. How does it stand up?

Chance of NOT having a gem after 4 fights: 50%, 25%, 12.5%, 6.25%.
Let's put it at 3 kills being most likely to have the gem, 25% is still likely enough chance of failure.
15 minutes a kill, 3 kills for one gem.

20 gems: 900 minutes (15 hours)

Every 5 gems you add on top of that is 225 minutes (3 hours, 45 minutes)

30 gems: 22 hours, 30 minutes
40 gems: 30 hours

There's not much reason to go above 40 gems because you can just soul forge then add Vorpal later, making use of easier-to-get duplicates than scrounging up 60 different gems, but...

50 gems: 37 hours, 30 minutes
60 gems: 40 hours

If you're in addict mode and play 8 hours a day, DR is still asking you to grind for multiple days. We start at 20, finishing with an hour to spare on Day 2, up to grinding for five days to get 60.

And keep in mind, I made the major concession of a 50% drop rate to even get THESE times. The actual rate is lower, meaning it'd take longer.

Yeah. I'm just going to play another game and not bother with any of that. Even those EXTREMELY OPTIMISTIC times I managed to calculate only in fantasy land are just not worth it. "Wanting to change your weapon to a different type? Well, would you mind grinding for an extra four hours for this privilege?" Get out of here.

Post Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:30 pm

Re: Soul Gems Drop Rates

Thanks for the math, bro.

30-40 hours...with the exception of long RPGs, one could complete almost any story game in that timespan.

Really think it should be 100% (same for tailoring materials) - which would still require 7.5-10-12.5-15 hours of grinding for 30-40-50-60 gems.

Might even have to lower or redo the whole price structure...
Next

Return to Archive