Dijj wrote:Also, creation is hitting it's final stages of planning, and with it will come an upheaval of how much of a benefit current creation perks are.
All creation based benefits, point wise, are essentially eliminated by the creation 2.0 default overhauls while races will carry no creation point cost aside from the percent based modifier. Racial perks should not be tied into creation, it's a bad 'benefit' that goes away as soon as the game starts (ie. when you hit 50).
Envenom wrote:* Huge:
- Ogres are vuln to two classes and have better gains than draconians.
- Draconians are vuln to one class, but have a great were skill.
Ogres are only vuln to Psi's as far as I know, and Dracos to Bards as you said. However, until weapons are overhauled, 2h weapons are incredibly under powered and don't provide as much of a benefit as they can. There are few 2h weapons worth taking that are better than 1h (and almost ALL quest weapons are 1h anyway), even with the parry bonus.
Huge races ARE good for the extra benefits in combat based skills (bash, trip, etc all have a size modifier), but all in all the benefit is a bit of a push.
Envenom wrote:* Swim and Fly:
- Avariels are vuln to a single vuln weapon with low avg: 24. They used to be vuln to fire (1 weapon at the time, flashfire, fireball...) but it was a bit too harsh. However, even with the wind racial vuln, their were more than compensates: the shifted magic resistance lessens the racial vuln damage and wing buffet is great.
- Merfolks are a mess. They used to be vuln to lightning (2 exotic weapons at the time, thunderclap, chain lightning...), then became vuln to acid (2 weapons, acid blast) and now are vuln to nothing. Funny thing that their magic resistance did too lower the racial vuln damage they took. Oh! How could I forgot mentioning that they have the strongest (and broken IMO) wereskill in the game? They have absolutely no summoning sickness on pets, regardless of being shifted or unshifted.
Avariels and Merolk need a more realistic vuln, no class should be exposed to a mages vuln obliterating elementals (see the post in the mage forum). They have solid (or absolutely broken in the case of Merfolk) were abilities, but I believe were abilities should be measured separately from an unshifted, normal character racial scale.
Envenom wrote:* Blindfighting - what does that even do?
- Drows fall somewhere between merfolks and avariels. They have that light vuln for quite some time but, unlike avariels, there is no good weapon with it. Well...there used to be one, but it was removed after one year or so around. Their weres, too, benefitted from lowering the racial damage taken when shifted through magic resistance. The main difference between them and merfolks is that drows trade fear for some not as useful wereskill (feed and web?) AND they only gain limitless pet summon while shifted.
Based on an unpublished change in 2009, Drow's get a ~50% bonus to parry while blind. The value hasn't been verified in the last 5 years, plus who really sticks around and fights blind, but in my opinion it's a mediocre perk at best.
Drow's currently cannot be hit by any available weapon in the game, unless some random player has a light weapon hidden away on an alt somewhere. I feel the only race that should be SAFE from a vuln is Kine, and should be addressed accordingly. The race isn't "good" enough to be vuln to an entire class, but should certainly be hittable with something.
(Alternative random idea: Change Templar spell damnoun to light).
Envenom wrote:All in all, what I'm trying to say is:
- Sylvan and Dwarves are fine.
Sylvan are hittable by currently existing weapons, which is novel. Dwarves, per the mage thread should NOT be vulnerable to mage elementals (and instead only be that sort of vulnerable to weapons + Druids). But, I think the change need to be on the mage side and not a vuln side. Mages should not be able to throw 3 vuln hitting spells in between a single round of melee combat. There's too little to do about it past turn combat into "Well, I'm going to trip/bash for the next 90 minutes".
Envenom wrote:- Ogres and Draconians are fine. Ogres will become slightly better once the overcap of attributes is fixed.
- Avariels are in the perfect spot.
- Drows need a stock light weapon, in the same fashion as avariel's.
- Merfolks need a vuln: acid or lightning would fit them best.
I only really disagree with acid on a Merfolk. Guild weapons hit for acid (as it's a damnoun that no one is vuln/res to), and you don't want a race to be vulnerable to all of a combat based guild.
Envenom wrote:- Merfolk Weres need summoning sickness, unless there is a reasonable explanation for their limitless summon.
I 100% agree. Honestly, I think all were summonables should be standardized and make the other were abilities balance out the 'perk' side of a were. Pet's are excellent, but there's too many variations to make each one unique AND easily balanced. I really should make a separate post about that soon.
Envenom wrote: Kender...I have so little experience with them that I'd rather not destroy them with a racial vuln.
Kenders are a race (were aside - meerkats + images are incredibly good) are incredibly under powered (add up the racial max stats in help racestat and see how much of the shaft Gith and Kender actually get).
Envenom wrote:I believe the reason for the old/current vulns not working in PK is fairly simple: vorpal.
I agree... partially with your assessment of vorpal. It was worse when the spell was based off of a classes arsenal (so casters would double dip against vulnerable races), and has been made a little better since being assigned a magic damnoun.
However, you're right in that it bypasses 100% of avoidance skills (it is linked to melee having to land, but you only need one every x rounds). There is no counterbalance for melee on this, and sharp ends up under powered because of it.
Yeah? Well, you know, that's just like, your OPINION, man.