Welcome
Welcome to darkrisings

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Pretitle

Archive of ideas that have been implemented or refused.

Post Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:13 pm

Pretitle

I think it would be a good idea if class was taken out of pretitle. It makes no sense from either a roleplay or functional stance to see it. The only effect it causes it to better prepare people for pk by having information that they should have to work in some small way to obtain. I'd even go so far as to say that it cheapens the overall interaction between characters to be able to see it.
“Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one.”

~ Marcus Aurelius

Post Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:45 pm

Re: Pretitle

Couldn't the same be said for race, level, and even name or if you're in the game at all?

Post Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:38 pm

Yes, and there are many muds where you cannot view these. But that's why I specifically mentioned functionality in my post. Of that list, class is the least likely to be perceived, and would even add a small element of mystery to pk at some point. Taking away any of those that you mentioned aside from race causes problems; level (actually range , we can't see the level) accommodates the below/above range system we operate under, name - far too radical a change for our little player base. Remove class - only forces us to interact or observe a player to ascertain. Removing the race is a good idea too, although it can easily be argued that determining one's race can be done easily enough by simply standing in the same room as them.

~ Marcus Aurelius

Post Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:41 pm

The biggest problem I see from this is that nothing is 'gained' from losing the ability to know a players class, but we do lose something. As a gating class, I regularly get tells from BR's wanting gates, and knowing that I have them. As a BR, it's nice to know who I can ask without spamming on IC/NB to get some help.

Post Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:38 am

Could always establish a toggle command which makes your race, level, class anonymous on who list.

Post Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:36 pm

Spidertown wrote:The biggest problem I see from this is that nothing is 'gained' from losing the ability to know a players class, but we do lose something. As a gating class, I regularly get tells from BR's wanting gates, and knowing that I have them. As a BR, it's nice to know who I can ask without spamming on IC/NB to get some help.

This seems to me like an incredibly flawed approach. You're referring to interacting as spamming ("IC: Newbie: Can anyone please send me a gate to Arinock?" - this is spam?) instead of what it is in this scenario; roleplaying. If players send you tells relating to the fact that they already know your magical orientation from the who list, you've been forced to engage in extremely poor roleplay. At any rate, this is an idea that really has no great impact being implemented or ignored. It was just a suggestion to enhance realism and roleplay without being a detriment in general, unless you prefer to keep interaction to a minimum I suppose. No big deal.

Hrobshur - awesome idea.

~ Marcus Aurelius

Post Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:45 pm

Cronos wrote: You're referring to interacting as spamming ("IC: Newbie: Can anyone please send me a gate to Arinock?" - this is spam?) instead of what it is in this scenario; roleplaying. If players send you tells relating to the fact that they already know your magical orientation from the who list, you've been forced to engage in extremely poor roleplay.

It sounds like that on paper, but in the game environment, I generally find it to be the opposite, as both the BR and the gater. When a BR asks for a gate to Kalane on IC, generally people interrupt their RP/wall staring to portal to Kalane, throw up a gate, then portal back to what they were doing before the person even makes it through the gate. On the other hand, sending me a tell (or me being the person sending the tell) initiates an actual conversation a good 50% of the time, with the gater taking the time to offer spells, suggestions for places to level, etc.

The exception of course being a trubie, in which every player who is able should take the time to assist them.

Toggle - I'm pretty much indifferent. I myself wouldn't use it, but others readily would. Whatever works for people.

Post Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:01 pm

On the other hand, sending me a tell (or me being the person sending the tell) initiates an actual conversation a good 50% of the time, with the gater taking the time to offer spells, suggestions for places to level, etc.

I definitely can't argue with that.

~ Marcus Aurelius

Post Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:47 am

I'm going to throw this out here, vs make another topic when it's so similar:

If a player is level 50, they should be able to see the level of anyone BR to them. It would help immensely in steering those still in training to certain areas without the awkward, semi-ooc convos that we all inevitably have trying to figure out a persons level. And I can't think of a reason why knowing is 'bad' If a person is BR to you at 50 - knowing if they're 11 or 40 really doesn't have an effect. This would only affect level 50's - anyone under 50 would see the who list traditionally.

If I'm missing some very obvious reason this is a terrible idea because of pk or something, be sure to yell at me.

Post Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:58 am

Spidertown wrote:This would only affect level 50's - anyone under 50 would see the who list traditionally.

Why?
Next

Return to Archive