Welcome
Welcome to darkrisings

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Practice to 100%

Archive of ideas that have been implemented or refused.

Post Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:08 pm

Practice to 100%

Allow us to spend practices to 100%. With skills starting at 50% nowadays, using a practice is even worse of an idea than it was before: I could prac a spell from 1% to 60+ or even straight to 75% previously, now a prac can only give me +25% at most. Same vein, the window for using pracs is extremely narrow at 50-74, if you ignored practices and just used your things as you went you'd pretty quickly have stuff reaching 75+ at which point pracs are no good and serve as HP/Mana fodder.

If one of the arguments about spamming is "well I use pracs because spamming takes so long and I want to save time", then pracs, currently, really do not save you a whole lot of time, and their ability to save you time has been gimped hard. Bump up pracs to reach 100% would at least give them that back.

Post Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:25 pm

Re: Practice to 100%

Or at least to 90-95%.

I'll also take the opportunity to point out that the practice system is really unfair with non-caster classes. Casters spend 1 practice and get a spell at 75% instantly, while others need to spend 3-4 practices. Yes...non-casters sort of get the 1 practice = 75% on skills but leveling skills is waay easier due to the simple fact that very few of them cost any mana.

Post Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:30 pm

I also think there's a stat tie in somewhere as well, but I'm not sure what it is for certain.
Yeah? Well, you know, that's just like, your OPINION, man.

Post Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:12 pm

According to our helpfiles:

Intelligence: Determines how much mana you get per level, and how much practice you will need to learn new spells or skills.
Wisdom: Determines how many practices you get per level.

Mage/Psi/Necro/Wildmage/Warlock: +2 int
Cleric/Bard: +1 int

So if you're making a merfolk/sylvan/h-elf/avariel/draconian/gith/kender in those classes, you're going to have an int of 25-27.

Also,
Cleric/Druid/Ranger : +2 wis
mage/necro/templar/monk: +1 wis
If you're making a dwarf/h-elf/avariel/lich, you're looking at 25-27 wis, which will also give you the most practices to throw into either practicing or lifestats down the line.

Post Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:53 pm

I'll consider raising the cap on what you can practice to to 85-90% but I won't go higher than 90. I'll watch the thread and also discuss with Niviene.

Post Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:55 pm

Kiirion wrote:I won't go higher than 90.

Why not?

Post Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:02 pm

If you go learn a skill...saying typing. You can watch someone do it, read tutorials, stare at a keyboard to learn where everything is. However to become truly proficient at it requires that you do it. You make some mistakes along the way and learn from them. I'm applying that same principle here. That last 10% is you learning from your own mistakes and perfecting your skill(spell).

Post Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:06 pm

Kiirion wrote:If you go learn a skill...saying typing. You can watch someone do it, read tutorials, stare at a keyboard to learn where everything is. However to become truly proficient at it requires that you do it. You make some mistakes along the way and learn from them. I'm applying that same principle here. That last 10% is you learning from your own mistakes and perfecting your skill(spell).

Maybe on Earth. In Rhia, I can be illiterate, deaf, and only speak Pig Latin but spontaneously learn, with some consistency and no contact with anybody else, how to travel to another part of the world while flying and shooting lightning bolts out of my hand by doing nothing but bopping orcs and crows on the head. But it's just downright impossible for somebody whose job is to teach me how to do those things to get me doing it perfectly each time?

Also, given it's "practice", wouldn't the "learning from mistakes and perfecting your skill" be something incorporated into the idea of practicing it with your trainer? I mean, if I get a practice session working with somebody to get me typing better, would that be a situation I could never achieve my personal typing mastery in? What am I getting out of shooting an earthen wall with lightning that the trainer just can't provide?

Post Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:41 pm

I suppose at some point it becomes a matter of who is interpreting it and what you believe the scale is with regard to the totality of the function. I believe as I stated...you believe as you stated. So...I suppose that puts us at an impasse.

Post Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:05 am

Well, your justification for not considering it at 100% is through applying a principle on the nature of learning things. Is there a different (or the same) principle on the nature of learning things applied to spontaneously learning how to semi-reliably say the magic words to shoot lightning from your hands? Because that concept there was no problem with.
Next

Return to Archive