Welcome
Welcome to darkrisings

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Prac to 100%. Again.

Archive of ideas that have been implemented or refused.

Post Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:28 pm

Prac to 100%. Again.

This thread is still "In-Progress": practice-to-100-t176.html

Kiirion argues against 100% practices on a "principle". At no point in the thread for raising the default skill level to 50% were principles discussed. There was almost no disagreement to that idea at all, actually. Getting 49% absolutely free was no contest, but spending a practice to get 25% is a show-stopper. Kiirion, of course, never bothered to explain what "principle" could be applied to the 50% default.

Instead, the concession is that people can practice to 95%. No real reason given for why 95% exactly. Is 96% okay? Could we practice to 99% and still be okay "on principle", but 100% unacceptable? Why not make it 90%, then? Or outright reject the change?

At no point did anybody against a prac-to-100% give any argument against it that applied the "principles of learning" argument in a way consistent internally, in regards to how the game world works, or with the 50%-default change. There was also no elaboration given when pressed with something as simple as "Why?" or "Why that number but not another"? And yet that stance won, because Imp and Admin wanted it that way after a discussion - between only the two of them, of course - and their vote was the only one that actually mattered, faulty reasoning be damned.

So, let's start this up again. Practices to 100%. If it shouldn't happen, let's see an reason that actually stands up to scrutiny.

Post Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:23 pm

Re: Prac to 100%. Again.

Greetings!

Lets think about this for second. Can we agree that being 100% on a given skill or spell would mean that you are in fact a master at whatever it is? That's how I portray it. A training, sure, can "train" you but can really only train you to be proficient at a particular skill/spell. To become a master at something takes years or dedication and practice on your own with countless numbers of failures to learn from your experience. I mean think of it this way, Did Bruce Lee become a master of Jeet Kune Do by going to one trainer? No, he started his martial arts career at a young age in one discipline of many to come. Point is a trainer/teacher/guider is not gonna be able to teach you how to truly master something.

Now with all that being said, I am taking your "This is not the real world" argument into consideration here. I am not opposed to the "use pracs to 100" idea. But I have a counter idea for you to mull over. What do you think about once you gain a spell that it comes at 100% and we just do away with practices and trains all together and tweak life stat gains to compensate? The downside I see to this is some pissed off players who spent a lot of mindless idle time spamming their alts to 100.

Post Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:28 pm

Draban wrote: What do you think about once you gain a spell that it comes at 100% and we just do away with practices and trains all together and tweak life stat gains to compensate? The downside I see to this is some pissed off players who spent a lot of mindless idle time spamming their alts to 100.

Isn't by using practices to get your skill to 100, you're automatically doing that? Under any system on Dark Risings since it started, if you use practices your life stats will be lower. Except, you could only get to 75%. As of right now we start at 50% instead of 1%, and can still only go to 75%, so you couldn't use a similar amount practices without putting the learning cap up, making it so that if someone WANTS to use practices, they'll end up using less in general.

If we raise the max practice cap up to 100%, and someone doesn't want to spam their skills they don't have to. Instead can pay life stats and get the full benefit of getting the skill to 100%.

I would think that completely overhauling stat gains in the name of practices is a ton of work in the name of a simple problem.
Yeah? Well, you know, that's just like, your OPINION, man.

Post Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:19 pm

100% agree with everything Some Guy said above.

Post Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:22 pm

I say get rid of the practice system altogether.

As for the "becomming a master takes time" argument, there is no point on applying reality to a fantasy game (if we started doing that, what about tripping/bashing someone flying? or using plants to knock them down? or even pushing someone that can't fly into the air?). I can't think of any worthy RPG where the characters didn't instantly gain new abilities upon levelling up.

As for the players, the ones that spammed (I'm one of them) won't be losing much anyways: 10-30 lifestats max (and 4-5 days AFK spamming).

However, the gains per level would have to be updated to make up for wisdom's relative loss of importance.
Probably make it more important in the mana gain per level, maybe at the same level as intelligence.

Post Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:55 pm

You can now practice skills to 100% if you so choose.

All your skills/spells should come in at 75% to start instead of 50%

Return to Archive