Welcome
Welcome to darkrisings

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Spell Thieving

Why so negative?

Post Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:48 am

Spell Thieving

...or Spell Siphon for a cooler name

Warlocks are masters of mental magic, what if they were able to steal random spells from their opponents?
If it lands, roll through the opponent's affects list, cancel the spell and give to the warlock. If warlock is already affected by the spell, refresh the duration. Obviously it wouldn't work against skills, such as battle and divine focus, and should have a chance of picking negative effects, such as maledictions.
Maybe increase the number of spells stolen accordingly to the warlock's intelligence score (min 1).

That would further specialize warlocks into a class that turns magic against its user.

Also, betray needs to steal summonables. Simply banishing kills all the flavor.

Post Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:40 am

Re: Spell Thieving

I'm not sure exactly how it would work, but I really like that idea! Gonna watch this space to see if it happens!

Post Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:55 pm

Or have it that the warlock has a "shield" type of thing that absorbs a spell thrown at them (could have charges like astral projection), each spell thrown at the warlock has a chance to be absorb and reflected back at their opponent via a cast.

For instance:
I cast wildfire at Mr. Badwarlockdoodle
It hit his shield and is absorbed
Mr. Badwarlockdoodle can now cast wildfire at me, using the charge as the resource rather than their mana pool. Or if that seems like it would be too complicated - allow the charge to be used to cast a free spell from their own repertoire.

Ex:
I cast wildfire at Mr. Badwarlockdoodle
It hits his shield and is absorbed
Mr. Badwarlockdoodle cast a ravage at me using the charge.
I cast wildfire at him again, but it doesn't hit his shield - wildfire to the face!
I cast wildfire at him a third time and it hits his shield, *absorb*
Mr. Badwarlockdoodle casts energy drain on me using his charge instead of mana.

Post Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:44 pm

Awesome ideas!
Might not even need the shield thing - just give them a "mimic last spell thrown at me" skill
Then give it a chance of success and either a fixed mana cost or the same as the spell's

Suddenly casting a powerful unique-spell against a warlock becomes extremely risky...
...just like running with summonables would be if betray actually stole them!

Post Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:38 am

If the mimicry idea works for warlocks more than bards, then yeah. just don't call it mimicry :P

I thought of mimicry because bards in my eyes can be jesters/pranksters/mimes etc.

I like spell siphon for the name though. Nice choice Envenom.

On the spot.. Reflection could be a neat name for it too. But yeah, all the warlocks out there should definitely comment further.

Post Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:39 pm

Envenom wrote:Warlocks are masters of mental magic

Psionicists are the real masters of mental magic. I could see something like this working as a Psi technique by invading an enemy's mind to briefly learn what they know.

Really, though, mimicry and copying abilities sounds fun enough that I'd want to play a class centered around the idea.

Return to Warlock