Welcome
Welcome to darkrisings

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

On Weaponsmithing and Soul Gems

Archive of ideas that have been implemented or refused.

Post Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:26 am

On Weaponsmithing and Soul Gems

I really couldn't decide if I should post this in the thread about weaponsmithing (found here) or make my own thread for it. I figure I talk mostly about soul gems, so a separate thread it goes.

I feel like we already have "weaponsmithing": Soul Gem tailoring.

We can take any stat spread currently available in the game (and there are a lot of them) and shove the armor into a different slot, adjust its cursing, have damnoun choices for it, change its weapon type, add a flag, even add sticky. There's a restring involved to boot.

Any weaponsmithing tradeskill would directly compete with this. If weaponsmithing doesn't make great things, it'll obviously be useless compared to soul gems. If they make gear that needs gems to really shine into greatness, you've just made the soul gem grind a part of smithing. If weaponsmithing can do most anything gems can do, or allow for completely unique pieces of eq, why in the world would anyone farm gems?

The current catch: The pricing for doing this is extremely high. You need 25 different gems just for the luxury of changing a single cursing flag. If you want to take a nodrop weapon into noremove and change its weapon type, a fairly mundane sounding change, that's 35 gems. What makes that pricing extra bizarre is if the eq isn't nouncurse, you can end up saving yourself gems in certain scenarios by... uncursing the weapon at Kalane beforehand. In the previous nodrop -> noremove scenario, you'd save 5 gems! This isn't even getting into the really insane stuff, throwing on vorpal is 60 different gems, or 20 then 40, pick your poison (get ready to pay more gems total for sticky, though: 35 different or 20 then 20).

What is this, EverQuest? Ragnarok Online? Is this really the kind of PvE grind for cool custom stuff what we want out of DR? Custom stuff is cool. I like making custom stuff to cover whatever niche purpose I really desire but there's nothing actually built for it yet. I like making custom stuff because personalizing is cool. I don't like the amount of non-effort (face it, you're not actually DOING much, you're whacking a mob until it poops out a gem then moving to the next one 20+ times) between having an idea for something cool and seeing it happen (why I play a textgame to begin with). 40 soul gems? Sorry, I did it once but I seriously don't think I can do it again, I just have better things to do with my time, both when I'm in-game and life in general.

Let's get these prices lowered. Cool custom personalized stuff is good, PvE Drop Grinding is bad.

Post Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:09 pm

Re: On Weaponsmithing and Soul Gems

Armor can not be relocated into a weapon slot, or a weapon slot relocated to armor. As the objects are two different types(armor and weapon..other types include light, pill, scroll etc) the point values assigned to stats in OLC is different and the OLC accounts for the dice roll for damage (1d1 cost less than 2d2, for example).

Part of the reason for the cost is the ability to actually make a weapon worth more than intended....or better than intended. A staff of striking is a go-to staff. Now add vorpal to it? It becomes significantly better.

The other part is ease of getting gems. Some gems are relatively easy to get(for instance, Heimdall, Trolgar, Fire demon in hyouthian area). If the cost was low, people would simply farm these easy mobs to get good weapons that, previously, were only available via quest or auction.

Not to say we won't consider lowering them, but it really hasn't been brought up before now.

Post Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:45 pm

Re: On Weaponsmithing and Soul Gems

[quote="Kiirion"]The other part is ease of getting gems. Some gems are relatively easy to get(for instance, Heimdall, Trolgar, Fire demon in hyouthian area).

This only makes sense if there were about 20 easily-farmable gems, or whatever the new cost for the tweaks would be. I can imagine about 15 off the top of my head.

If the price is so high because some gems are easier to farm, why are the easy-to-farm gems there? If you're assuming everybody who turns in gems is going to have a fire demon or trolgar gem or the easier more ******** ones, why aren't we cutting those out then slashing the cost appropriately?

[quote="Kiirion"]If the cost was low, people would simply farm these easy mobs to get good weapons that, previously, were only available via quest or auction.

I'm not fully convinced this is a bad thing, assuming the amount of time and bossing it took was reasonable. Currently, I need 25 gems to do something as mundane and sidegradey as changing a weapon to another type, and over double that to do an Actual Upgrade (Vorpal/Sharp, could argue Sticky maybe). That is unreasonable.

Return to Archive