Welcome
Welcome to darkrisings

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

AOE spells and groups

Archive of ideas that have been implemented or refused.

Post Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:43 am

AOE spells and groups

This is an old issue I've suffered quietly, and I really don't know if anyone has thought about it at length. I've noticed with AOE spells on DR, that they even affect members of a group. For example; long time ago on an alt when I first started playing at DR. I was grouped with a druid and we were fighting Heimdall, the druid started spamming meteor shower, and even though he and I were grouped, his meteor shower was hitting me as well as Heimdall.

On another mud I used to play, when a mage or spellcaster is leading or following in a group, when they casted an AOE spell, all members of the group would be safe from the AOE spells damage.

My question is: Would this be a considerable or a desirable function to AOE spells if grouped with other PC's or not?

Post Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:43 am

Re: AOE spells and groups

It's how you break charm in PK, without introducing another function in to do that it gets tricky.
Yeah? Well, you know, that's just like, your OPINION, man.

Post Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:00 pm

Could make charmed beings exceptions to the rule.

To be honest, my main issue with AoE spells is the fact that they are far far worse than single-target ones due to two reasons:
1. There are very few occasions where players fight multiple foes at once
2. AoE spells have 1 round lag, while others have much quicker casting times (like 3/3/2 in 3 rounds for elementals, 2/2/1 for normal spells [I think])

That's probably the cause for Covenance's second guild spell (AoE dispel, epiclesis if I'm not mistaken) being such a let down...

If only AoE spells and skills were able to destroy all mirrors at once (see mirror images rant/idea) and cause significantly more damage against single targets...

Post Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:51 pm

The Covenance dispel is godly. PK just died on the Mud. Can't remember the last time a non-quest group throwdown happened. I tried really hard to organize a few wars over the course of Maelic as well...

Anyway, the way your describing area of effect spells already works like that for characters under level 11. One of the fastest ways to level someone from 1-11 is to push everything on the Island into 1 room and AoE it down, used to do this all the time. If you alter the mechanics of AoE spells to not affect people your grouped with.. Then they aren't AoE spells anymore, basically just another set of subpar single target spells.

Also there is a way @ level 50 to use AoE spells without hitting group members.. I can't remember exactly what the conditions are that have to be met, I think it's something like the caster isn't tanking (the groupy is). Or maybe I'm just thinking about where it does the damage but doesn't break group because they are already engaged in combat. Either way...

Post Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:29 pm

Fair enough.

Post Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:53 pm

2/2/3 for elementals, 1/1/2 for normal spells, Envenom.

Return to Archive