Welcome
Welcome to darkrisings

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Two-handed weapons

Archive of ideas that have been implemented or refused.

Post Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:29 am

Two-handed weapons

Two-handed weapons are terrible. Part of the reason for that is the build points allotted; it's just not possible to make a two-handed weapon as beneficial as a good one-handed weapon and shield. The concern in simply increasing the points to the item is the obvious benefits it would give to draconians and ogres as a racial benefit, particularly rangers of those races. My idea is this: One - change the building standards to improve two-handed weapons to the point they are comparable to common one-handed/shield combos. Two - Rangers of any race will not be able to dual-wield two handed weapons. A draconian ranger could wield a two-handed weapon and 'off' a one-handed weapon.

What do you think? Do you have other ideas as to how two-handed weapons could be improved?

Post Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:20 am

Re: Two-handed weapons

I like your proposed solutions Dijj.

I think with your proposed ideas, two handed weapons would even be more appealing to the average sized races, even if it means sacrificing shield block.

Aside from that, I personally have no other ideas for the topic.

Post Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:46 am

The idea for rangers is good.

However, simply buffing 2Her stats won't change much because players would still be losing shield block and wearing a heavy weight weapon.

Remember when the Saelan bone-knife 'suddenly' became extremely popular? Well...the weapon had pretty poor stats (5/5 40 mn -1 svs), but had average 39, sharp, noremove and light weight.

To make 2Hers worth using, they need to make an actual contribution to things outside of the 'give more stats category'. Some combination of:
- Bonus to parry, disarm, dislodge...because the character is carrying a heavy *** weapon!
- Higher damage through either increasing avgs (40 -> 42, 42 -> 45) or coding extra damage into the two-handed flag
- Make sure all 2Hers are medium-heavy weight (there are a few that weight between 8 and 12)

I also think that barbarians should receive the draco/ogre racial feat with any weapon they have at 100%. Like templars, but restricted to one weapon.

Post Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:25 am

Yeah, I don't know enough, it shows.

Envenom's feedback is fare more useful than my own.

Post Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:17 am

[quote="Envenom"]
To make 2Hers worth using, they need to make an actual contribution to things outside of the 'give more stats category'. Some combination of:
- Bonus to parry, disarm, dislodge...because the character is carrying a heavy *** weapon!

There is a parry bonus to the wielder that more or less offsets losing shield block completely, as far as I know. I believe Xunthraedor did some testing on it unofficially ~summer 2013, but if this is something Kiir can answer straight out of the code it would be good as well.
Yeah? Well, you know, that's just like, your OPINION, man.

Post Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:58 pm

It'd also help if two-handed weapons were built a little better/smarter stat-wise. The two-handed spears are a waste of points, one of them has +4 dex, another one 2 dex 1 str. Give me stats I want, not more numbers to throw into the overflow pile. Who goes below max dex nowadays, anyway?

Post Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:23 pm

If i'm reading it right, the parry bonus for 2 handers is 10%. I'll confer with Kes to double check....but chance +=10 is relatively straight forward i think.

Post Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:48 pm

Does it work for all two-handers? Because there was a time it only worked for staffs + something else, like polearms...

Post Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:34 pm

staff, polearm, spear.

Return to Archive