Welcome
Welcome to darkrisings

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Flame Blade

No matter the game - nerf mages.

Post Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:35 pm

Flame Blade

Flame Blade is crap. Anyone use it? I never did. If a race was vuln to fire, then great. But they aren't, so they suck. The other summonables I've seen hit vulns, but not a flame blade. Stick Vorpal on it, make it hit a vuln, something to make it worth using in general. I'm not suggesting anything real specific I know, but I'm trying to open up a discussion about the spell, and how it's pretty useless-looking. I could be wrong, but there's an opinion.

Post Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:32 pm

Re: Flame Blade

Have never used it, not once. Maybe useful for mob hunting? But we do have a strong fire spell and a weak fire spell also and those are what I go for.

Post Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:47 pm

It was useful when avariels were vuln to it.
Nowdays its utility is being a noremove weapon in case the mage loses his main weapon.

I'd suggest something like allowing mages to "enflame" (add flaming flag) their unflagged weapons for a brief duration, just like poison <weapon>.
Without a target, summon the ordinary flame blade, maybe with a flaming flag too.

...but then mages already are overpowered.

Post Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:46 am

I like Envenom's idea. I think a mage should be able to enflame their currently wielded weapon, and others. It could also be a possible market for currency exchange, considering enchanting is as easy as it used to be.

Post Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:40 pm

Permanently adding either elemental flag to weapons might be a bit too powerful. I'd leave that for a new tradeskill or quest weapons.
Still...another option would be adding the vorpal flag to flame blades (or even all summonable weapons) - that would surely increase its utility for casters.

Post Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:39 pm

Obligatory "mages are already overpowered". Do they really need a powerful summonable weapon that is vorpal or strikes a vuln or has some other rockin' effect on top of everything else they get?

Post Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:18 pm

They don't. That's why the initial suggestion was the flaming flag because:
#1 If a mage is wielding it, he can't wield a vorpal
#2 Even if he could "enflame" a weapon, the weapon can't have any elemental/sharp/vorpal flags
#3 Mages are still limited by two attacks per round so their melee sucks
#4 Since their melee sucks, hitting a racial vulnerability with it won't be that powerful

Return to Mage