Welcome
Welcome to darkrisings

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Monks and moves

Fists of fury.

Post Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:55 am

Monks and moves

With the idea of trip/bash/arm throw costing moves, why not make monks skills use moves. How barbarians are the lords of HP gains per lvl, why not make monks the lords of moves per lvl. With monks its endless, vital strike, crain kick, burning palm, armthrow and my new ideas for monk.

Strike nerve, 0 hour curse, kind of like the barb idea.
Double strike a hit like kick, but has a chance to apply a 0 tic bleed. like the damage of atrophy.
Ki Strike 2hour CD like Lay on Hands, a hit that bypasses sanctuary and magic ward.
Bruise Muscle lowers dodge -10% (slight chance to make moves drain on movement to a new room)

Ohh I know barbs and warriors get it. But why not monks get critical strike too?

I could go on and on an on. I just wonder what people think of the idea of turning fighters into more than bash and dirtkickers. Make them "more fun" to play.

Post Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:19 am

Re: Monks and moves

I'll admit first, that I have never played a monk and may be speaking mostly out of ignorance. I have pked with monks before and as a barb I
think the strength of their counter attack is amazing, and they don't need anything else. Now this is only one side of the argument as I am sure
while fighting a caster it may be pretty useless I don't know.

Post Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:32 pm

Right right, thats why I thought IF, the changes to trip and stuff costing moves, we could give the fighters a few new skills to use moves, not just trip and bash. So it can feel more than a bash baby. So the new ideas to monk I guess was IF IF IF and would be cool.

Post Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:20 am

Monks aren't that strong, even with dragon punch. Dragon punch has a very easy counter, that EVERY fighter class has, and magic classes have a less easy counter to it. Their damage output is lackluster, as burning palm isn't that strong, and they only get third attack. Compared to other fighter classes, they lack the melee damage. Fourth/fifth attack of a warr/barb, or 3rd attack + off hand of ranger. Templars...well they're a different beast and but even their damage output is higher than a monk.

Post Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:54 pm

I'm one of the biggest monk PK'rs out here, my first built as Zarbosa was a monk. Don't get me wrong, I was decent as a monk, but I got fed up, when majority of my wins I used up way too much resources because I have no offensive strikes all defensive, but when blind, I run like a chicken. Monks downfall first and foremost, is only hand to hand, which limits them to use quest weapons because vorpal weapons make monks lose palm block. Dragon punch doesn't land all the time, when monks are blind by dirt kicks all day, lose dragon punch and palm block, make them defenseless in every aspect. Monks are killed by magic classes. Buddha palm is pathetic, cost too much mana for very little damage and usually I only have about 800 mana. Crane kick is effective, but that lag is horrible. Kick is normal. Vital strike is useless too, it only affects AC, which AC at level 50 is junk. Armthrow is like bash, when flying it doesn't land effectively, you miss much more when flying.

Suggestions:
-Monks should able to use vorpal weapons, so, they can atleast use quest weapons or make a hand to hand weapon with vorpal/sharp. Instead of rapier/staff, every class uses hand to hand anyways, why not change that rapier into a hand to hand weapon, a pair of bronze knuckles or something.
-Chose one or the other between dragon punch or palm block when monks are blind, they are meant to be a defensive class, why lose everything when blind.
-Vital strike affects dexterity/strength, since technically, if I get hit in vitals, it cuts off bloodflow which paralyzes an opponent.
-Crane kick lag more like kick, since crane kick only kills 20 mana for a long lag, which a magic user has like 1200 mana.
-Armthrow shouldn't be affected by fly.

Give monks some love, so, I can play my favorite class again.

Post Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:17 pm

I can't really speak to many of the monk problems as I've not played one myself, however -

Are you able to collect any data on armthrow by any chance? I can PM you some sample data if you're interested in seeing how I've done some bash testing myself. I've found the best way to tackle "This seems broken" is to throw numbers at it because it paints the clearest picture. The process is a hair slow, but the data is incredibly valuable to the powers that be.
Yeah? Well, you know, that's just like, your OPINION, man.

Post Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:08 pm

Yes, armthrow is affected by fly....no where near the extent that bash was(or is now). Like Some Guy said, though, get me actual data(numbers!) and I can work with it.

Post Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:49 am

Monks DO need loving! I mean like, they gotta take a vow of celibacy so man...must be really rough for them.

Chief concerns/tweaks I think monks should the very least receive is:
-Vital strike not be useless
-Tweak crane kick, reduce lag time to 1 round instead of 1.5 or 2 or whatever rounds. Reduce mana drain to like...15 to off set the faster lag time

Also, I'm totally for monks getting a new skill/move. I remember sometime back when someone mentioned monks should have like...grappling moves sorta like MMA fighters. It sounded really cool and totally unique so here's my half baked idea of new monk grappling move:

Armbar/leglock - applied on target and lasts until combat ends either from fleeing, teleport, etc. Does a small (or a lot, up to IMPS) amount of damage on application. Target takes damage each tick while armbar or leglock is applied. Fleeing has a X% chance at failing, each failed flee causes small damage to the target. Successful flees causes pretty big damage with a Y% chance to cause double damage and break your limb and apply a debuff depending the broken limb (Arm bar - break arm, 1-2 tick weaken. Leg lock - break leg, 1-2 slow)

Every damage component, land rate on skill, or affect can be changed on the discretion of the staff but the point is that its a skill that plays into the monks/fighter classes strengths without actually giving them a spell or skill another class already has (which is totally lame imo). It forces you to either stand and fight probably the most defensive class in DR with some extra tick/failed flee damage whittling you down or you gamble to flee, taking some big damage, and having a chance to break your limb giving slow/weaken

Return to Monk