Welcome
Welcome to darkrisings

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Overhauling Some WM Spells and Interactions

Like a mage, only with backfire.

Posts: 308

Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:47 pm

Post Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:52 am

Overhauling Some WM Spells and Interactions

There are currently several spells in a wild mages tool chest: Wild Heal, Wild Enhance, Wild Aura, Wildfire, Wild Summon, Chaos Demon and Chaotic Dispersal and Vanish, and I want to focus in on the SELF BUFF spells (Wild Enhance, Wild Aura and Wild Shield) and their interactions with Wildfire.

Part of the issue with many of the wildmage spells are the horrific inconsistencies. I understand that by design there are meant to be downsides and upsides to the spells, but it’s all so disjointed and lacks a form to tie it together that there’s very little going for the class. From this, I’d like to change some of the most used spells, and make them start to work together in a specifically consistent way.

First of all, the downsides for Wild Shield, Enhance, Heal and Aura need to be significantly changed. Let me start spell by spell for specific proposals. Bear in mind that at the end, the spell ‘levels’ that I refer to will come into play–

Wild Shield currently varies from ADDING ac to your total, to subtracting varying amounts, in addition to your standard armor / shield / stone skin spells. As it is an actual, lasting buff, I propose that we change it and simplify the probabilities into one of three levels: level one would be a 25% chance to have /no/ effect (0 AC modifier, but still count as a buff on your list), level two would be a 50% chance to give you a -35AC buff, and level 3 would be a 25% chance to have a -50 AC buff.

Wild Enhance, being the other lasting self-buff would also be changed to eliminate a NEGATIVE value downside. This would also be split into three levels: Level one would be a 15% chance to add 0 hit/dam, level two would be a 70% chance to add +4 hit/dam and level three would be a 15% chance to add 6 to 8 hit dam. Again, this eliminates a NEGATIVE downside, and merely makes the spell a buff for 0.

Wild Aura is theoretically a very powerful spell because of where it works onto the damage formula. Per Kes, Wild Aura is the FINAL modifier that the game uses to calculate damage going to a player, including after magic ward and sanc, so I’m not completely eliminating the downside (as you still take less than full damage when you factor in magic ward and sanc), but I’m severely reducing it. I want there to be five levels of possibilities when incoming damage hits: level one (black aura) is a 5% chance to take 10% more damage, level 2 (grey aura) is a 15% chance to take 5% more damage, level 3 is a 25% chance for the aura to flicker and do nothing, level 4 (yellow aura) is a 35% chance to take 20% less damage, and level 5 (white aura) Is a 20% chance to take 50% less damage.

So, to tie these four abilities back together, Wild Shield and Wild Enhance each have three levels of effectiveness, Wild Heal has five levels that change each time the player casts a spell and Wild Aura has five levels that change each time the player takes incoming damage. Now, I want to tie each of these abilities to the Wildfire spell.

Wildfire will gain a new modifier to the pure damage (no resist or vuln hits to it) that the spell does based upon the current effect level of Wild Shield, Enhance, and Aura. The value of each of these spells modifier is a simple 2% * level, making it so that a wild mage who has cast all four of these spells will gain a 4% -> 26% damage modifier, based on variables they can control (buff levels and frequency of wild heal casts) as well as a variable beyond their control (incoming damage based on wild aura).

I would like to believe that the damage buff to Wildfire while coupled with the downside reduction to several of their spells would give Wild Mages a new starting point to consider from a usefulness point of view, and could then be further tweaked, balanced or have additional spell considerations after that point.
I’ve included an excel chart at the bottom to try and simplify the spell changes I’ve talked out above.

http://imgur.com/DCoTMOg

What are your thoughts?
Yeah? Well, you know, that's just like, your OPINION, man.

Posts: 248

Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 am

Post Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:44 pm

Re: Overhauling Some WM Spells and Interactions

I believe Wild Shield became a lot better with the AC changes but wouldn't mind if there were no negative effects.

Wild Enhance...I don't know, it doesn't really fit casters having HR/DR steroids (please don't mention vorpal).
What if it worked like some random spell level increase like "focus"? While active, all spells have chances of being cast at different levels: -5 to +5 probably.

Wild Aura is pretty great, but your idea is also good.

As for Wildfire...I really have no issues with the spell, backfires aren't that terrible and you can tag people with them.
Maybe...since they are [wild]mages, wildfire could have its casting speed brought to be on par with elementals.

Also, chaotic dispersal backfire is retarded. So are green demons.

Posts: 308

Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:47 pm

Post Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:32 pm

Re: Overhauling Some WM Spells and Interactions

My idea was based on what the spell does (Wild Enhance) now, but I like the demi-focus idea far more.

With Wildfire, I just wanted to do something to tie it into the randomness that you have (some) control on, just to give a bit more damage vs speeding it up. I would think too that it wouldn't be terrible to perhaps vary the spell speed vs the damage in a similar way?
Yeah? Well, you know, that's just like, your OPINION, man.

Posts: 186

Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:14 pm

Post Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:18 am

Re: Overhauling Some WM Spells and Interactions

While you're at it.

Give wildmages a summonable: e.g. (Glowing) (Magical) A Whip of Chaotic Wildfire

Posts: 35

Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:03 pm

Post Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:02 am

Re: Overhauling Some WM Spells and Interactions

Hrobshur wrote:While you're at it.

Give wildmages a summonable: e.g. (Glowing) (Magical) A Whip of Chaotic Wildfire


Oh and also make it have a random damnoun!

Some Guy wrote:etc


I think the spell interaction idea. One thing I'm kinda iffy about is w-mages then trying to cancel/recast wild enhance and wild shield to get the maximum bonus to wildfire and buffs. I'm not sure how feasible it is to code but what if the wild shield and wild enhance levels randomize like every 1 - 3 ticks? And then...dun dun dun... here comes my solution for chaotic dispersal: Give chaotic dispersal a dual function. Casting it on enemy works the same, it has a chance to dispel and a backfire chance BUT if you cast chaotic dispersal on yourself whether through self cast or backfire, it will reroll your wild shield and wild enchant levels! This basically makes chaotic dispersal on yourself a slot machine reroll. Don't like your recently rerolled wild enchant and shield cause it gave 0 AC and 0 HR/DR and minimal wildfire damage? Chaotic dispersal yourself and see what you get!

Posts: 308

Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:47 pm

Post Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:54 pm

Re: Overhauling Some WM Spells and Interactions

I had more thought of making the spells un cancelable so that whatever you get sticks, good or bad. The chaotic dispersal interaction for a change could be very interesting, but I think I'd rather it occur on backfire versus trying to cast it on yourself.

Not only do you potentially get dispelled, but your buffs could get scrambled and negated.
Yeah? Well, you know, that's just like, your OPINION, man.

Return to Wildmage

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Donate Now
Donate Now


Designed by ST Software for PTF.
Hosted by © 2017 FreeForums.org | Create a free forum | Powered by phpBB
About FreeForums | Legal | Advertise Here | Investors | Contact FreeForums.org
Report Violation
suspicion-preferred