Welcome
Welcome to darkrisings

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Elementals

No matter the game - nerf mages.

Post Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:52 pm

Re: Elementals

Spell casters, not only mages, will never be Glass Cannons because of mirror image: it is insanely reliable (works 80-90% of the time), absorbs all kinds of damage and only has a real downside against classes with sleep. No counter too...unless you consider casting chain lightning, and hurting yourself, a fair tactic.

High HP or Mana don't change much when it comes to PKing: you'll want to stay above 50% HP because of kickers and e-drain is relatively more effective vs high mana pools. It is rare the occasions that you see a player healing to full health or full mana because his opponent won't let it happen, and if he does, then he'll also be healing himself, which is basically nothing more than rebotting the fight.

Mages are spellslingers, the low lag and low of cost of their elementals is what I think that makes them so good.

Post Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:02 pm

Spidertown. I always remember it being "known." I had a mage with 2k/900 splits within six months of opening. Maybe this is because I was on the inside track with the staff? I can't remember (fifteen years has a way with that sort of thing). But it was not uncommon knowledge in the early days of the MUD, or at least it didn't seem that way to me. I did combat testing for DR before it was open, and I am almost certain it was in place at that point. By the way, fifteen years ago, Bavor and I found that ogre bard was the most unfuckwithable combination in the game, for those interested (although certain code aspects--particularly related to bashing--seem to have changed a lot since then).

Post Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:22 am

Confirmed ogre bard. I just won't or an ogre.

Post Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:47 pm

Can we nerf them already?

Post Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:25 pm

For simplicity of it all:

1) Stop letting elementals hit a vuln. Want to hit a dwarf vuln? Play a druid. (Looking at you, water bolt - Destroy AC and hit a vuln? Super broken).

2a) Increase mana cost significantly or 2b) decrease cast speed of elementals.

Quick and dirty? Yes. Will it be the final stroke? No, we're at four pages so far on this thread alone and there's far more (Mages being HP (WTF) based vs Mana based etc etc).

My TL;DR may be a bit off to what you all want, but given months of discussion I think we need to distill some hard proposals from the thread.
Yeah? Well, you know, that's just like, your OPINION, man.

Post Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:37 pm

On one hand, I'd like the speed to being reduced because tagging as a mage is easy mode compared to other classes
On the other hand, I wouldn't mind if other classes tagging speed was increased

Mana cost...100% agree because damage spells costing 6-11 mana is ridiculous.
IMO its damage per mana spent should be on par with other classes. The casting speed, HP scaling and different damnouns is already good enough.

Post Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:31 pm

Someone in game was supposed to remind me to post this:

Idea for elementals: (I realize this would mean a lot of recreates for mages)
Elemental 'power' based on CURRENT mana pool
For example:
@ 1200 mana - full speed and strength
@ 900 mana - same speed, damage reduced by 15%
@ 600 mana - speed reduces to 2/2/1, damage reduced by 15%
@ 300 mana or less - casts the same as other classes attack spells, damage reduced by 25%.

Also - fully on team waterbolt needs to not be 'drowning' damage. It makes locking down a quest mob from mage elementals impossible without also locking out druids.

Post Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:20 pm

What about...

-Reduce the current elemental spell damages
-Have it where, consecutive casts of the same elemental spell increases its damage but also increases its mana cost
Previous

Return to Mage