Welcome
Welcome to darkrisings

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Re: Fish Recipes

Sugar and spice and everything nice!

Post Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:52 pm

Fish Recipes

"Fishy Faculties" is pretty bad for how unique the recipe is:
+8 intelligence for 5 hours is the max rank

Unlike the other baking recipes that players have to either simply buy the ingredients and/or find 1-2 items around the world, fish recipes actually requires players to play the fishing minigame and luck out on the correct fish.

With that said, I believe the effect should be significantly better. At least on par with -6 saves, 8 hr/dr, 14 ticks sanc, mirror image, 80 AC...

Some suggestions:
○ Restore mana (yea, I know, potentially broken)
○ High-level ordain effect (not really creative)
○ Solemn vow effect

Post Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:20 am

Scalp merfolk.

Is Fish.

Make most awesome fish recipe.

Profit.

Post Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:47 am

Re: Re: Fish Recipes

I don't think I've ever actually seen anyone do this, so yeah, I'm all for getting this worked on.

Additionally, I think other small rewards could probably be boosted for fishing - some sort of chance at a reasonable gold reward, chance to fish up a boss, etc.
Yeah? Well, you know, that's just like, your OPINION, man.

Post Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:33 am

i think the real cause of this is someone made a shitty fishing minigame (seriously have you tried it, it's boring and awful, it's basically a tutorial on how to set up a trigger followed by combat) and desperately tried to tie things into it probably under some mistaken assumption that stats matter or someone would actually want to be assed to do all the effort for a temp stat buff

restore mana would probably be broken but honestly there's so much broken stuff in this game i'm not even sure it'd be a blip on the radar

solemn vow and ordain are terrible ideas, yes lets give even less reason to play the shitty templar class. solemn vow is actually fucking powerful too so this would basically be the new peach pie, remember when that was undispellable

nobody would fish for small rewards like gold when you can almost-but-not-quite-just-as-much-as-the-rules-can-be-bent-to-allow afk bot gold. gold fountain vs gold fountain. a boss would be lolrng but now for being able to find the boss, awesome. at least you can script it until you get it.

but it comes back to that fishing is boring and awful and the best way to do it is to not actually do it, either script it or literally not doing it. fishing has to be maybe a bit cooler and something people want to do before we talk about prizes for it, but with how dr is made i'm not sure if it's mprogged or actual hard coded how it works but either way that's a lot of effort for a minigame.

Post Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:24 pm

My counter-arguement for solemn vow and ordain are that there are a couple of items that already break class uniqueness.
To name a few:
- Mirror image; even though 6/14 classes it or something similar
- Atrophy, decay and wither limb (!!!);
- Energy drain and forget (not as good);
- Remove curse; retarded with disarm/dislodge
- Cure poison; was retarded before the sleep/sap changes
- Pinch
- Bless/frenzy; 5/14 classes have it

So...yea...50/50 hp/mn isn't really a big deal and solemn is only powerful because 70% of DR's pk revolves around blindness.

As for the fishing minigame, I agree that it's pretty boring (I just set a bunch of actions and roll the RNG) and believe that it would be more attractive if there were better rewards.
The held item isn't particularly bad, changing the baked fish effect would make baking more attractive, could also incorporate fishing into tailoring (trade fish for some ingredients?) but that only benefit players with the tradeskills. The boss idea isn't particularly bad if it gave some good equipment and a soul gem...but then I don't know if the soul gem change had any effect in creating an incentive for gem hunting.

Finally...templars probably need some love but the same can be said about other classes.
It's hard balancing things when there isn't many people to test how classes stand at PKing post-AC changes and classes with gate will always excel at eq hunting.

Post Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:13 pm

jjjmmm wrote: but with how dr is made i'm not sure if it's mprogged or actual hard coded how it works but either way that's a lot of effort for a minigame.

It's mprogs. I'll be the first to admit I'm not very familiar with it, mainly because no one uses it and it's not 'broken'. I'm open to changing it in terms of 'fishing up bosses' and whatnot, but it's not on my short list, in terms of how quickly that would come in.

Post Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:26 am

Heh...you were the one that sidetracked the topic into bashing how shitty fishing is and I was stupid enough to get into it

Yes, it is boring. But so is soul gem hunting or getting tradeskills from 1-50. That's not the point.
With the exception of extremely dangerous mobs, everything else can be almost entirely automated.

The point is that the recipe deserves a better effect and you didn't bring anything constructive to the table.
PK is far from a thing nowadays so there isn't much to worry with it being "peaches lasting 80 ticks and being undispellable" broken.

But since you might not be into it. How about bashing these?
- Magic resistance (dispellable), like sylvans/dwarves
- +2-4 to all attributes, might suck now but become good if attributes become meaningful at 50.
- Ordain, cause hp/mn is the only area that baking doesn't buff and templars are just sad :P

Post Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:29 am

Deleted the last three posts because 'mad bro' --> 'lol u mad bro' --> 'no bro you're mad' isn't all that constructive.

Return to Baking