Welcome
Welcome to darkrisings

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Soul Gems - Uses

Archive of ideas that have been implemented or refused.

Post Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:14 pm

Re: Soul Gems Drop Rates

Edit: Nevermind on mathing it out based on 11.11%, apparently the soul gem rate HAS been buffed, it's just wasn't announced anywhere.

Here's what I posted originally: http://pastebin.com/HP529d9P

Post Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:11 pm

Question: Which you prefer?

Reduced amount of gems?
OR
100% drop rate?

Post Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:19 pm

Between the two, 100% drop rate. Always frustrating to lose the dice roll and therefore get no prize. I'd rather fight 10 different guys once and get 10 gems, then fight one guy ten times to get one gem.

Post Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:33 pm

100% drop rate, for sure.

But I see no reason for having to choose between the two.

Post Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:02 pm

I would prefer reduced amount of gems (Al currently has quite the stockpile), personally, but 100% drop rate is probably better for gameplay/health of the MUD.

Post Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:21 pm

Soul Gems Poll

Here's me bashing on soul gems again but I think their rewards are somewhat lackluster considering the time invested in collecting them.

There's already a thread with suggestions for new/alternative uses here: (http://darkrisings.freeforums.org/soul-gems-uses-t65.html)

And another thread talking about their drop rates (http://darkrisings.freeforums.org/soul-gems-drop-rates-t163.html).
Props to @Landsknecht for calculating the time taken to get 30-40-50-60 gems with soul gem drop rate at 50% - it's actually significantly lower.

And to save you from the troubles of typing 'help soul gem', that's the current reward structure:
Soul gems can be used with ANY immortal to retailor an item.

Below is the price list for this service:

20 soul gems + necessary item to retailor an item;
* REQUIRED - see exceptions below
* Item must be stock - see exceptions below

+5 gems (each) to add or remove: nodrop, noremove, nouncurse;
+5 gems to change a weapon to any other type of weapon;
+5 gems to change a weapon's damage to any general type of damage; * NO water/holy/iron/light/mental/sound/wind/silver/wood allowed
+10 gems to relocate a piece of armor to a new worn slot; * no lights or weapons may be relocated
+15 gems to change a weapon to be 'sticky'; * will not be charged for removal of noremove flag, if present * nodrop/nouncurse addition would still cost +5 gems each
+30 gems to change a vorpal weapon to a sharp weapon;
+40 gems to add sharp or vorpal to a weapon;

Examples:
ex. adding nouncurse to any item costs 25 gems (20+5)
ex. changing any weapon to slash costs 25 gems (20+5)
ex. changing any weapon to slash and removing nodrop costs 30 gems (20+5+5)
ex. changing from arms to shield costs 30 gems (20+10)
ex. changing from arms to shield and adding nouncurse costs 35 gems (20+10+5)

To the poll!

Post Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:56 pm

Re: Soul Gems Poll

Landsnechts numbers say it all really.

I had a go at collecting about a year ago for something. The only thing that kept me going was collecting with a group of people so that I could chat while doing it and keep myself from dieing of boredom. Got some nice beginnings of an RP out of it from the interactions that wouldn't otherwise have happened but that was the only benefit. Even then, boredom eventually won and I stopped. No reward is worth that much time and grinding to get.

The drop rate should be increased a bit and the 20 soul gems to do anything at all should be removed or lowered.

Post Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:06 am

Re: Soul Gems Poll

While I can't really comment on soulforging weapons, I can say that when I work to help develop some new systems I do try to incorporate soulgems in as a currency to be incorporated in lieu of gold (Master Tailoring, for example, has several additional uses for soul gems, and another system that I will be proposing within the next week will have another use as well).

Hopefully as time goes on they'll be more versatile, and give people something better to do with duplicates than sell them for next to nothing.
Yeah? Well, you know, that's just like, your OPINION, man.

Post Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:53 pm

Re: Soul Gems - Uses

The baseline cost for soul gem equipment has been reduced to 10 gems, effective in game as of now.
Previous

Return to Archive