Welcome
Welcome to darkrisings

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

More consideration given to race

Archive of ideas that have been implemented or refused.

Post Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:21 pm

More consideration given to race

I posted about having more consideration in the game given to race, and I realized that one of the best ways to back up RP mechanics is with game mechanics.

So, why not have racially-specific equipment? As it is, it doesn't make a ton of sense that an avariel and an ogre can wear the same stuff. I'm not talking about a radical overhaul of all equipment (god, I know some of the present overhauling is time consuming). And I have no idea how hard such a thing would be to code, but, I do think it would remind players, quite forcibly, of their characters' races.

One place to go would be, with the new overhaul, make it so that small characters cannot use two-handed (2H) weapons at all.

Of course, perhaps there are rings of great potency which only fit the hands of avariels, elves and dwarves (I think these are the coded small races?).

Kine, of course, get fucked in this as in all things, for consistency's sake. (No, if someone can think of a way to give kine some love, I really do think that'd be super... I just, I think, make the same failures of imagination that have plagued people considering kine since the beginning of DR--as well as a lot of roleplaying games, D&D for instance).

Post Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:44 pm

Re: More consideration given to race

Smaller races and weapons (usually 2Hers) could to be created through a Strength vs. Weight restriction: drow, kender and sylvan all have 19-20 strength, now if there was a weapon with 21 strength, they shouldn't be able to wield it. In fact, I'm big fan of this idea because it could be applied to all attributes and make them a lot more meaningful.

How about superior wands/scrolls/staves that can only be used by characters with high intellect?
Or tower shields that only characters with high constitution can sustain carrying?
Maybe "smart" weapons that gain special flags based on the character's attributes: something like a weapon becomming sharp/vorpal if the wielder has certain value of dexterity/intelligence (or wisdom)?

Possibilities are limitless.

Post Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:05 pm

How do you think this change would be implemented without a "radical overhaul"? In probably the most straightforward way of doing it, this is looking at giving every piece of EQ some sort of "What race can wear" bit set on it. If the vast majority of EQ just has it set to "all races", then how enriching are the novelty exceptions that are only for some races? If a lot of EQ has restrictions based on race, well, that's even more work to set all the race bits, and has some severe balance considerations given some EQ just become unavailable.

Current small races: Drow, Kender, Sylvan. These would be the races not allowed to use 2H weapons and, given the new overhaul, unable to use the vuln-hitting weapons. This would be a gimp to figher combos of those races, given all three races can easily be Rogues or Bards, and Sylvan/Drow can get away with being Warriors and maybe Templars. Speaking of Templar, how would this interact with their passive of one-handing 2H spears?

Post Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:23 pm

I think all in all there needs to be a big rethinking of races in general. Kender and Gith both get screwed stat wise (add up the total number of stat points across the 'old' races and compare them with the two 'new' races), plus per the creation idea, all races lose their creation based benefits (which I think are bad to begin with). All in all I'd think most/all races could stand to use some new at least passive abilities, if not something a little more.. flavorful.
Yeah? Well, you know, that's just like, your OPINION, man.

Post Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:25 am

So essentially you're proposing a racial restriction on equipment?

Return to Archive