Welcome
Welcome to darkrisings

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Seraphs

Archive of ideas that have been implemented or refused.

Post Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:25 am

Seraphs

What the heck happened to them?!

Post Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:20 am

Re: Seraphs

Kiirion mentioned them on the facebook page a week or so ago:

''An idea that was implemented early, without proper background or thought. They're coded significantly different than vampries. They had unique spells, as well as a unique resource(similar but different than blood).

From a coding aspect, there is no minion/Pat relationship. They can bestow a new language, Enochian, on someone, but that's all. They have a few spells in their arsenal that rival a vampires. In general they are supposed to be on par with a vamp, if not just a hair stronger(but not as strong as a pat w/ silence).

They may return in the future after we actually sit down and figure out what the creators actually intended, or coming up with our own use for them. The code has a bug or two that needs to be worked out as well.

Also, Seraph is a race. To create one, it sets a chars race to Seraph and changes their stats, vulns, and resists..''

Post Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:48 am

Interesting,

So in the future we can expect to be able to choose seraph as a race, or be chosen through RP like vamps are currently.

It will be refreshing to see how they do get re-introduced into the game when they are ready as a whole.

Post Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:14 am

Yeah it'll be interesting to see. Personally, it irritates the beJebus out of me when a whole dynamic of the game (like vampires) have to be granted to people through staff blessing so I'd like to see these introduced some other way that people can achieve/lose through the game.

Rambling notions:

Perhaps something similar to to getting werecreature through RP like we have now. That said, Seraph is a race - do we want to be able to change a characters race? The current example of that is anyone changing into a Lichnee. Perhaps Seraphs are the 'lichnee' of some other force in Rhia.

Rhia had a whole lot of invasions in the past year from other dimensions. Like githyanki, they could be from elsewhere, but for that they should be set to being available at creation.

Post Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:45 pm

I believe the main reason vampires/seraphs are granted through staff blessing is because they have abilities far too powerful

Wouldn't mind if there was a way these groups could freely turn other players, as long as they didn't get the overpowered abilities too.

Yes, I have serious issues with a character having five-six spells that are better than anything accessible to 'normals'.

It becomes even worse when that character is able to join a guild, gaining yet another powerful spell.

Post Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:21 pm

Yuneo wrote:Personally, it irritates the beJebus out of me when a whole dynamic of the game (like vampires) have to be granted to people through staff blessing so I'd like to see these introduced some other way that people can achieve/lose through the game.

Envenom wrote:Yes, I have serious issues with a character having five-six spells that are better than anything accessible to 'normals'. It becomes even worse when that character is able to join a guild, gaining yet another powerful spell.

Yes yes yes yes yes. Did I mention I agree? The vamp system (and seraph rollout) is always more a spectator sport than something the pbase can get involved in. As a result, it puts a huge amount of pressure on those chosen for the role to perform in both terms of RP and PK. And if you can't PK? Forget it.

Post Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:52 pm

We seriously do not need Seraphs, or any other sort of 'clubhouse class', for a very, very long time. We can barely accommodate vampires and, to an extent, clans and guilds. And with the current lack of interest in PK, yet ANOTHER set of superpowers?

Post Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:10 pm

That's actually the main reason I have not tried to reimplement them. It would not take a lot of work to develop their RP to the point of working and interesting, but we simply don't have the people for it.

As for changing their race...it would be like creating a char, playing them for months then becoming a Seraph. They were intended to be a "divine" race, sort of demi-god like, from what I gathered....but yeah, subject to change when we decide to actually use them.

Post Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:13 pm

RE: Spidertown. I thought playing a vamp would be fun. It wasn't, because of the pressures of how it works. I said never again.

I would not mind if vampires disappeared (although there's a fair bit of RP invested in them) or became an IMM-only RP convention or something. As a player-class (or however you think of them), I've never seen them work, really. And they're so powerful that they never successfully fulfill their RP function (too many people are drawn to their power, so to speak). I remember playing my Covy back in the day, and having people just harrass him not for attacking weres but for attacking a vamp patriach. Because they all thought the pat was peaches and cream (i.e., he didn't play the character as a complete *******, and they wanted in on the fun).

Some people should be drawn to vamps, but it should be few and far between. Since they're already given to quality PKers as a rule (or at least, in my experiences... I don't really know how it's done these days), the advantages in PK seem a little ridiculous. Basically, I think, if you can't win in PK without using the vamp skills, you probably don't deserve to have them, and if that's the case, you don't actually need them.

So, revolution (remove entirely) or real reform.

Post Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:18 pm

Sorry, I just realized this was a thread about seraphs, which I know nothing about (was reading the thread to find out more because of something Kiir posted in another thread). Apologies.

Return to Archive