Welcome
Welcome to darkrisings

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Materials Drop Rates

... what is it good for?

Post Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:49 pm

Materials Drop Rates

Why aren't they 100%, instead of rouhgly 40%?

DR has never been about grinding items; it's not a MMO.

The new tailoring require between 2 (black/white + color) and 3 (black/white + 2 colors) materials.
That's two to three different monsters that have to be killed, which takes between 30-60 minutes solo.
Now factor in that each monster has the 40% drop rate and you might end up having to kill the same monster 1-3 more times.
Sooo....all in all, it takes something like 2 hours to create an item slightly superior than stock gear.

Excluding the fact that tailoring costs a lot of gold, that's probably the reason few bother with it.

I think soul gems sort of have the same issue and will create another thread about them

Post Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:07 pm

Re: Materials Drop Rates

They were set that way to be similar to soul gems. It was also to curb the availability of materials, since more than just tailors go after
these mobs for some benefit (gear/soul gems). Since so few people 'bother with it', there's no reason for these materials to have a 100%
drop rate. All of these materials are available on some fairly easy mobs in terms of 'killability' - so having to kill the fire
demon a few times to get the piece you need is still only 10-15 minutes out of your day. If you're only using the examples of mobs
provided instead of exploring and finding out what other mobs drop them - then it's going to take you much longer.

Tailoring prices were dropped significantly, though I won't argue that the 'grind' to get to master tailoring is still expensive
and the leveling experience (and lack of gains at low levels) already made me cop out from trying on one of my alts. Throwing 20k
into a trade without a single gain is not something that keeps me motivated to want to continue - and I think the improvement of how
trades level would be wonderful.

Tailoring is not a crucial aspect of the game, it's completely extra and superficial. If you want to spend the time, effort, and money
to do it - great. I believe Leoti (as the game's only master tailor for quite a while) has made a significant amount of money from doing
it. The point to the change was to give tailoring a reason to exist - as it was, tailoring was a terrible trade with no suitable gear to create at 50.

Post Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:51 pm

It's just that I have yet to find someone wearing the new gear and that made me question its attractivity.

Oh well...if soul gems drop rates were set to 100%, then 40% materials might work just fine.

It's not like players hunt items to sell on auction these days; and soul gems are quite time consuming in their current state.

Post Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:54 am

Dijj wrote:Tailoring is not a crucial aspect of the game, it's completely extra and superficial.

And yet we're still thrown ribbons and satin if we care about tailoring or not. Can we at least turn them in for prizes? Stuff to help you on your tailoring learning or whatever?

Post Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:24 am

Yes. This was in the works, but with the RL situation I had going on last month, I dropped the ball. You should see it within a week or two, once we hash out what exactly the 'reward' should be. Don't get your hopes up on a great reward.

Post Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:45 pm

After having some experience with master tailor, I gotta say that the material drop rates are alright.

Soul gems, on the other hand, are bad if the player is exclusively looking for them.

Oh! The whole trade cost something around 500k and what I noticed is that:
- Every material (satin, silk, velvet, flax...) equals to 5 levels of tailoring before it no longer presents a challenge
- Levels 1-35 required incredible amount of items created: something between 200-400 items (the cheapest material took me 600 though)
- Levels 35-50 are wonderful in comparisson: I created less and less items per level...something like 150, then 100 and finally 50 satins for hitting level 50.

That said, I don't think the early levels should be so frustrating because it might drive players away from staying on the trade.

Also, if all levels were somewhat even, the progression would be a lot more smoother and tailoring might end up costing as much as baking (something like 250-300k).

Return to Tailoring