Welcome
Welcome to darkrisings

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Ordain

Insert something witty here.

Post Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:39 pm

Ordain

Ordain is not a very useful spell and appears to come into conflict with an argument used elsewhere.

Anyone know the pretty common argument about spamming? You don't NEED to spam, because those ~100 (being generous) lifestats don't really matter much in the long run. That's a sanctuary spell and change, or a single especially painful attack. Big whoop, right?

I have a disappointing surprise for you: Ordain does the very same thing. You get +50 HP, +50 Mana, +50 Moves.

So why would anyone say "these PERMANENT lifestats don't mean much in the long run anyway", then look at something that TEMPORARILY gives lifestats and say "Yeah, this looks fine"? With that train of thought in mind, the only worthwhile thing Ordain does is give +50 total moves.

Even worse: you cannot ordain willy-nilly. Only yourself and people who follow the same deity as you. So that gives it even less utility as a buff.

Also, it increases your max lifestats. This does not come with the bump up to your current. Cast ordain on yourself, you're now 100 mana "spent" and have to regen that to get to your new maximum. With Templar's regeneration, have fun with that.

Ordain is just impressively weak considering it has a pretty strong limitation on who can get it.

So how to make it better? Initial thoughts:

1. Make it cheaper/free to cast. 50 mana for a bum effect is ridiculous.
2. Casting ordain on someone else also ordains the templar. Two for the price of one.
3. Buff it. It's a hard line to see how much extra HP/Mana/Move would go from "meh" to "good" to "overpowered", though.
4. Change its effect entirely. What it'd turn into, I don't know. We could turn the Ordain skill into the solution to the templar's mana problems (buffs mana regen? replenishes mana when the templar casts it on themselves?) I suppose

Post Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:28 pm

Re: Ordain

This line of thought begs the question;
Why should Ordain be anything more than a neat little bonus? Why is it paramount that Ordain be more useful to you?
“Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one.”

~ Marcus Aurelius

Post Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:06 am

From my experiences with a Templar, having any of their abilities suddenly being useful is currently better than their current setup. The class is plagued with issues and fixes to a few things could make up for the rest.
Yeah? Well, you know, that's just like, your OPINION, man.

Post Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:09 am

Cronos wrote:words

What do you think the purpose of a class unique ought to be?

Post Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:51 pm

Cronos wrote:This line of thought begs the question;
Why should Ordain be anything more than a neat little bonus? Why is it paramount that Ordain be more useful to you?

The entire point of this board is to submit ideas to improve the game experience. This question could be asked of any idea on here, and seems a little snarky, but as text goes, that's always hard to determine. Please focus on the merits of the idea itself, or if you disagree, why.

Post Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:37 pm

Spidertown wrote:The entire point of this board is to submit ideas to improve the game experience. This question could be asked of any idea on here, and seems a little snarky, but as text goes, that's always hard to determine. Please focus on the merits of the idea itself, or if you disagree, why.

Yes spider, thank you for pointing out the blatantly obvious. That was the point of my comment, because the general atmosphere of this post struck me as one perhaps bearing a personification of entitlement (i.e. my primary character is this class therefore I feel this class should be buffed), or more importantly, refer to my original question. That was my take and I asked a valid open-ended question. Your generalization and condescending attitude is far less constructive, or as you put it, snarky. I wasn't trying to be however.
“Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one.”

~ Marcus Aurelius

Post Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:53 am

Spidertown wrote: Please focus on the merits of the idea itself, or if you disagree, why.

Post Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:37 am

I like the idea of Ordain effectively giving a Templar a boost in mana regen rate.

Post Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:22 pm

Landsknecht wrote:3. Buff it. It's a hard line to see how much extra HP/Mana/Move would go from "meh" to "good" to "overpowered", though.

Change it from a static value to a percentage of the character's health/mana pool.
5% HP/Mana seems fair (that's 70 for players with 1.400 hp/mana)

I'd go even further and suggest it being a percentage of the character's missing health/mana, so that it can become some sort of saving grace too.
5% while + 0.10% per every 1% HP/Mana below 100%, quick table:
At 100%: 05.00% = 070
At 075%: 07.50% = 105
At 050%: 10.00% = 140
At 025%: 12.50% = 175

Also, it wouldn't hurt if life/mana regeneration scaled from a percetange of the player's max stats. Synergies is what make games cool. :P

Return to Templar