Welcome
Welcome to darkrisings

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

New skill - Sever

All things barbarian.

Post Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:43 am

New skill - Sever

Skill name: Sever
Description: The barbarian winds up and strike his/her target with reckless abandon in attempts to sever his/her target's limb. Because of how strong this attack is, there should be a very long cooldown for it, like in the range of 15-20 ticks. This attack does a very high amount of damage (like mortally wound kinda damage without sanc/mw). Before the attack lands, the attack has to roll vs parry, shield, and dodge (not necessarily in that order). If your target shield blocks the attack, the damage is reduced by 50% and it severs your limb wielding your shield and your shield is dropped in your inventory. If your target parries the attack, the damage is reduced by 50% and it severs your limb wielding your weapon and drops your weapon in your inventory. If your target dodges the attack, the damage is reduced by 50% and it severs one of your legs causing you to reduce your max moves by 1/3 and puts your boots or leg equipment in your inventory. If your target does not dodge, parry, or shield block the attack, it hits for full damage and randomly severs an available limb. After using the attack, the barbarian is put in a vulnerable position. For 3 rounds (or more...or less...up to whoever) after the barbarian uses sever, the barbarian will take X% more damage and their avoidance will be 50% less effective.
Misc: Sounds OP...probably is OP. Could have some good synergy with disarm/dislodge narrowing down what limb you wanna sever. Tried to counter how strong this skill is with a very long cooldown. Maybe give it a huge movement or mana cost too. Yeah I'm pretty bored at work.

Post Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:16 am

Re: New skill - Sever

What if I dodge the attack with my head? Does my head get put into the inventory?

I like the idea. It's sort of a wither limb for fighters.
The cooldown probably isn't even necessary, depending on the lag that the skill has.

What if it had a 2 round lag when misses, 3 round lag when hits?
Cooldown only occurs if it hits, regardless of being an avoidance or straight hit.
And cooldown could be lower if the barbarian is below 50% hp.

Post Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:08 pm

Envenom wrote:What if I dodge the attack with my head? Does my head get put into the inventory?

OHKO :P

Post Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:49 am

Okay--as the recipient: what duration? Can I heal this with restore limb?

Also, no chance of failure? That's the part that strikes me as OP. If it always lands, you always do it; the chance of removing parry from the equation is always the chance worth taking, as things stand right now. If it sometimes lands and still has consequences in failure (whether an avoidance debuff, mana/move loss, whatever) it becomes strategy, something which has benefits and detriments you have to weigh against one another. I'm more interested in strategy than just a new skill to spam as a barbarian.

Post Tue May 02, 2017 2:18 pm

I mostly put this one up as a joke cause I was bored at work lol.

The drawbacks are the long cooldown imposed on using it, the high cost (mana or moves), the vulnerable state you are put in after using the ability, and the fact that the burst window for this ability is however long it takes heal limb to clear off the debuff (which was never that hard to do).

There is no chance of failure cause imo its easy to deal with if you are spamming it off cooldown all willy nilly lol.

Return to Barbarians