Welcome
Welcome to darkrisings

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

(Malediction) Deafness

Jack of all trades.

Post Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:24 pm

(Malediction) Deafness

Bard exclusive spell

Syntax: cast <deafness> <target>

Flavor: Bards are able to render their opponents deaf from manipulating the frequencies of their battlesongs.

Benefit:
1. A deaf character is considered in quiet mode* while under the effect of the spell.
2. While in the same room others are speaking or casting spells, roll a saving throw to comprehend it (no saves while blinded).
3. Interactions with NPCs and monsters have a 25% chance of failing due to poor communication = heal might fail, charmies might not respond...
4. Spellcasting also has a 25% chance of failing because of...poor spelling ("You mispronounce an arcane syllable")

* I really don't remember everything quiet mode does but basically: no tells, no channel messages, no grouptells.

Post Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:00 pm

Re: (Malediction) Deafness

I was going to post about a less extreme version of this:

1 round quiet mode (only says and emotes, etc. all other communication disabled). Essentially, this would be a fairly minor spell/malediction that would make fighting in a group more difficult. Limited but strategic usefulness.

It could be implemented in a number of ways:
1) As an independent spell that's easy to land (but given a high mana cost as a drawback).
2) As a chance byproduct of deathsong (5%?).
3) As a chance byproduct of a lower level spell, with a higher chance of landing than in the deathsong scenario.

Although the original idea I'm tagging onto is interesting as well, this seems easier to implement/balance.

Post Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:45 pm

Re: (Malediction) Deafness

Not a bad idea to think about, and would give bards something others don't have. I'm not sure about spellcast fail, but I'd like to see more discussion on this one.
Yeah? Well, you know, that's just like, your OPINION, man.

Return to Bard