Welcome
Welcome to darkrisings

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Elementals

No matter the game - nerf mages.

Post Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:25 am

Re: Elementals

Unfortunately, I don't feel the affinity idea actually would be a real nerf to mages - making their damage output lumpy will make their damage streaky, but not actually adjust the root issues. This is exacerbated by their able to smash a racial vuln (and only one races, which already is hit by a class with a far more reasonable vuln spell) - That should not be the case.
Yeah? Well, you know, that's just like, your OPINION, man.

Post Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:42 am

Kiirion, I'm looking at your idea and... I'm not honestly not sure what it's solving, if anything. They'll still cast fast and hit hard then mages will continue to pump out damage to rock quests and PvM. The fast casting means their PK tagging is still in place. I can't think of a situation in-game where you're really aching to have more than 2 elements, more often there's one damnoun you want and you spam it, so having to take some time to switch elements isn't going to be a big hindrance in practice.

Actually, if I was a mage under that system, I'd stick to water and fire. Water to kill dwarves and get around Draconian fire resistance. Fire to kill everything else and burn their stuff. PvM-wise, they work well enough that I'd only have to occasionally switch it them to something else.

Post Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:00 pm

The idea isn't a fix for anything. It's an idea to add a different level of depth to a mage so they have to consider what spells they are going to use, vs just using whichever elemental they want. Couple it with potential changes in the racial vuln system that has been proposed and we could ensure they hit only one vuln(currently they hit one, proposed is two...kender via drowning). When I said good at 2, bad at it...it's not entirely up to the mage. If they were good with fire, they would be bad with water. If good with earth, bad with wind. Opposing elements and such.

Post Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:03 pm

I think making a mage having to choose an element as a focus will be good. So if a mage wanted to focus on fire. They will be able to cast just as fast as they do now, and have added damage. If water the same, thunder, earth and so on.

However, if a mage wants to spread their focus on all four elements. Their casting speed drops to the same speed as everyone else (except wildmage) and with lesser damage inflicted.

To change their focus on an element, maybe creating an mprog for Palone to assist the mage in changing focus. This will limit a mage simply changing focus in between fights. OR... give the mage an option to change elemental focus, whilst only out of fightlag.

Post Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:56 pm

It seems like this maybe a dead thread. But it seems like it comes down to this: mages kick *** at damage and at defense (tanking, more accurately). Changing elementals is complicated. What about this solution? Get rid of mirror image for mages.

Post Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:02 pm

[quote="Alezar"]It seems like this maybe a dead thread. But it seems like it comes down to this: mages kick *** at damage and at defense (tanking, more accurately). Changing elementals is complicated. What about this solution? Get rid of mirror image for mages.

And make sure mages can't hit racial vulns with elemetnals.
Yeah? Well, you know, that's just like, your OPINION, man.

Post Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:27 pm

Does anyone know why elementals were changed to be affected by hp? What was wrong with them before that the change was needed?

Post Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:44 pm

It was always in place. It may have been accentuated/tweaked at some point to change the relationship considerably, but this is something that was brought over from IotM, if I remember correctly (although it was never as pronounced there as it was made here). Why it was done on IotM I have no idea.

Post Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:01 pm

So it's always been that way, just at some point someone actually looked at the code and said 'Oh hey, we could be 1700 hp instead of 1200'?

Post Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:12 pm

I was having a think about some guys description that Mages should be 'Glass Cannons' as they are in most all other games. On DR, they are and they aren't. IF people hadn't figured out to just up the hp then glass cannon might apply - hurt the flimsy cannon and its shots get less powerful. But that's obviously not the case on DR. Although I dislike getting rid of differences between classes I'm coming to agree that this difference was applied to the wrong class and would be better applied elsewhere, perhaps to a few of the blended classes who are predominantly Melee. Either that or stick some arbitrary hp cap on mages so they stay flimsy, but I don't see that happening.
PreviousNext

Return to Mage