Welcome
Welcome to darkrisings

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

DR Races and Racial ability

Race unique ideas

Post Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:06 am

DR Races and Racial ability

I would like to see more racial abilities for the races of DR.

I knew once long ago Sido said kenders will get steal innately. So if the kender race, as it is a complete rip-off of dragon lance D&D. And they are 'borrowers' according to that lore. Why hasn't the kender race been given steal as an innate skill?

If they can't get steal as an innate skill, even if they aren't a rogue. Why not grant them an ability to check for gold in any room, because they are naturally curious in nature and love all things shiny.

Here are other suggestions for some races:

E.g. Draconians - Why can't they breathe an element? I'm not suggesting anything outrageously powerful. The damage could be DISEMBOWL with no sanc or magic ward. But why not offer that, if they are 'beastly' in nature.

E.g. Drow - Are able to sneak no matter what class they are whenever underground.

E.g. Dwarf - Are naturally able to see hidden exits, (doors, cave entrances. Whatever)

E.g. Ogres - Considering ogres have tusks according to DR description. Why not grant them the ability to gore. Again the damage wouldn't be great similar to draco breathe. But still adds some flavour.

E.g. Orcs - Orcs to me are particular aggressive when in combat, what if they had a chance to add an extra attack in a round if their hp gets under a certain stage.

Anyways, I could go on.

Don't be scared to criticize. Have at it!

Post Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:32 am

Re: DR Races and Racial ability

Adding (or improving) racial abilities would certainly make character creation deeper.

My suggestion is giving all races two-three 'racial perks':
1. A passive one, like draconians/ogres monkey grip, merfolks swim, avariels fly...
2. An active one, such as a breath weapon, steal, and so on... [have the skill scale with level]

There could exist a third one, maybe something players could choose from a race-specific list to make them more unique, but I'm fine with #1 and #2...as long the perks are balanced, also taking into account the possibility of them being weres (wing buffet, summon pet, touch of death and magic resistances come to mind)

Post Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:37 am

I wouldn't want these 'racial abilities' to be utilized if the player is a were. If they are a were, they could only use the racial abilities whilst in normal form. Once shifted, It'd definitely be a concern.

The only racial perk, I'd even consider being fair is for draconians, as dragons can breathe too.

But I do like the idea of one passive racial skill, and one active. So long as they don't interfere with were abilities and OP a player. It should be okay. If they do, then perhaps rethinking the racial abilities might be in order.

Post Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:45 pm

I'd like to see Kine get in on this too: being the neutral race doesn't mean you have to be boring and powerless. Maybe humans raise their skills faster, start with more than the 3 default trains, or some sort of bonus perk for the Every Class Has These skills/spells.

Give Ogres a headbutt. Ogre Str+Con vs the enemy's Str+Con for damage, knockout, headaches, whatever horrible things a headbutt can do. Crack open avariel skulls with your own skull. Extra laughs: if the Ogre has too low Str+Con, hurt themselves on their own headbutt.

Return to Races