Welcome
Welcome to darkrisings

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Detection spell spam reduction

Archive of ideas that have been implemented or refused.

Post Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:54 pm

Detection spell spam reduction

So we've all been in busy rooms where things are going on but every now and then half of your screen ends up full of spam from people casting their detection spells.

Possible solutions:
- when detects are cast, don't have them echo to the room (with the exception of detect werecreature for give-away reasons)
- create a detect all type spell for each magic class to reduce spam by two thirds. Individual detects will be at 50% or something to make them usable at low levels, while the detect all type spell will be at higher levels, with the same cumulative lag for the three detects (or maybe slightly less if more incentive is needed). Again, this excludes detect were.

Would like to hear other suggestions if people have them.

Post Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:05 pm

Re: Detection spell spam reduction

The "hushed" version of casting where people don't see invis/hidden/magic I can agree with.

The all-in-one version, I'll call it true sight, I have to disagree with. For PK reasons, those 3 rounds to recast detects or giving up inventory room for a true sight potion is a part of the balance.

Post Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:51 pm

Love option one. Agree with Flestiraef on option two, detects are a huge part of PK and should stay separate.

Post Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:26 pm

I threw in option two mostly for an honourable mention since it's already present for some. I can see how it could mess some things up with pk though. Just to keep things balanced I've been trying to come up with reasons against doing this, but I cannot think of many.

- If I want to make it obvious that I don't care to speak to someone but am fully aware of their presence, casting detects works wonders...

And that's kinda it. Anything I'm missing??

Post Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:40 am

Just to bump this, I think hushed detect spells would be an amazing thing to allow people to still see what's going in without interrupting RP with detect spam.
Yeah? Well, you know, that's just like, your OPINION, man.

Post Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:31 pm

Approved, pending implementation.

Post Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:31 am

Implemented for detect hidden, magic, and invis. Detect were stays the same.

Return to Archive