Welcome
Welcome to darkrisings

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Creation System v 2.0

Archive of ideas that have been implemented or refused.

Post Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:02 pm

Re: Creation System v 2.0

Did I hear pwipe?

*enters shell...deletes player folder*

Done.

On a more serious note, I've reviewed Some Guy's post before it actually went live. I can't really say anything against the information given, or the system he offered. I haven't asked Kes how huge of a coding project this is yet though. Assuming we get an overall "sounds good" from folks, I don't have an issue implementing this.

Post Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:23 pm

Kiirion wrote:Did I hear pwipe?

*enters shell...deletes player folder*

Done.

Do it.

More seriously: Some Guy, could you show us some examples of some class TNLs with this system? I re-read the post but couldn't really find what the final result of this would look like. What would getting the defaults vs. getting everything look like in terms of TNL?

Post Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:22 pm

I actually made a spreadsheet to add in for this, but forgot to include it in the initial presentation.

These values are for a character that takes 100% spells and skills, including all things that remain optional. These are maximum values.

The major variations are due to the Racial modifier links to a race/class combo. This modifier has 100% replaced the creation point cost races used to have (and, in turn, the racial creation benefits have been essentially removed due to the default changes - races should have actual traits, abilities or benefits and not some possible tnl considerations and call it a day). For most comparisons on it, I would use the average and not the min or the max as there is only one or possibly two races per group that drag the average down (and the current help files do reflect these - Gith shouldn't be Clerics, etc).
Yeah? Well, you know, that's just like, your OPINION, man.

Post Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:41 pm

I wonder if the helpfiles couldn't be a little more explicit about the relationship between suitability and cost. I've read those files many times, and I never thought: "Ah, this means it will cost more in xp/level for me to play as a gith cleric or orc psi, etc." I always read it as, "You're going to have to work your RP to make it make sense that you're an ogre bard because it's uncommon." Am I the only one that dumb? Certainly someone new to the game might be as dumb (or ignorant rather) as me.

Post Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:58 pm

Alezar wrote:I wonder if the helpfiles couldn't be a little more explicit about the relationship between suitability and cost. I've read those files many times, and I never thought: "Ah, this means it will cost more in xp/level for me to play as a gith cleric or orc psi, etc." I always read it as, "You're going to have to work your RP to make it make sense that you're an ogre bard because it's uncommon." Am I the only one that dumb? Certainly someone new to the game might be as dumb (or ignorant rather) as me.

I agree on that point, prior to working on this I honestly had no idea how the race/class interaction worked (I generally stayed away from the 'bad' combinations). Yes they're bad, but what's that mean?

I don't know if the system will last as it is well into the future, I just didn't want to change it NOW with everything else that was happening around it.

Post Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:16 am

Love it all. Very well thought out.

Letting however many of the 10+ years worth of characters that have hand to hand having the huge advantage of keeping it over new characters is something that needs a bit more thought though... It really is a huge deal.

Post Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:50 am

It will be addressed in a balance sort of way, the main perks related to hand to hand that monks will get will remain for monks only.

Old characters will still be able to hit harder than a feather duster if disarmed, and that's the main intent.

Post Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:54 pm

The intent is to make every character after this system is implemented gimped severely if they could of had hand to hand like now. I know it doesn't seem like a big deal for whatever reason but it's the little things like this that win and lose fights and make any new characters/players upset for what I can tell no reason. Either take it from everyone or don't. Don't upset the balance.

Post Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:03 pm

Would you be posting the same thing if the weapon type was polearms? Or any other type? Boiled down your choice in weapon is just deciding what stat spreads are available to you. H2H stat spreads aren't terribly revolutionary themselves.

Something I realized about people being grandfathered into H2H is that it's going to forever be something that has to be considered with the weapon type. Any ideas at all related to hand-to-hand as a weapon type will have to be tempered with "but what about the grandfathered-in H2H users". That's stifling and gives monks a raw deal when it comes to making their severely limited weapon array more diverse or interesting, either through building new ones or modifying how H2H works.

Post Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:56 pm

... No because being disarmed has nothing to do with pole arms. Your missing the point. First off having a weapon skill at 100 percent helps you disarm that type of weapon. Secondly it's a pretty big deal to lose your weapon in combat especially when you weigh in blinds and strength modifiers. New characters will be completely screwed but older characters with the hand to hand skill will still be able to dish out some damage. Little things like this are so huge in the grand scheme of balance I'm a little disappointed that it was approved.
PreviousNext

Return to Archive