Welcome
Welcome to darkrisings

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Barbarian attack skill

All things barbarian.

Post Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:40 am

Barbarian attack skill

Bored, random barbarian attack skill idea.

Name: Blood for blood

Description: The barbarian braces him/herself for incoming damage and then furiously retaliates.

Mechanics: This would work sort of like a delayed attack skill. The barbarian will not do anything for 1.5 or 2 rounds. After those 1.5/2 rounds, attacks his/her target for X amount of damage and a percentage of the damage the barbarian takes during that 1.5/2 rounds. OPTIONAL: If the barbarian's attack exceeds a certain threshold, his/her attack also knocks down the target. OPTIONAL: During the 1.5/2 round lag that the barbarian takes damage, his/her AC is reduced by a static amount.

Misc: Fits well with barbarian theme of being raging berserkers. They hit hard, they get hit hard, they hit you back even harder. In PvE, it helps solidify a sorta role for as a meatshield/tank type. They got big hp level gains and great health regen so it would have good synergy with this skill as barbs would want to be in the thick of things and tanking damage to dish out more damage. Also has the added bonus of bringing (in my opinion) a really overlooked skill: rescue! It would also possibly bring in a bit of depth to barbarian play style like trying to maximize damage intake by quickly removing a few pieces of eq before using the skill to drop your AC, or giving the player some choices as to whether they should recast stone skin/armor/shield/magic ward after being dispelled.

Well thats my reasoning and explanation for the skill. Comments? Suggestions? Insults? Whatever.

Post Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:03 am

Re: Barbarian attack skill

I really like this as it fills a gigantic barb need for additional damaging abilities. I'd love to see more abilities like this to help flesh out PvE combat roles, and it would be an interesting mix in PvP as well.

Depending on the cooldown of the ability, it would be interesting if a target would be unable to flee during the damage soak duration, almost acting like a taunt (though this may push it a bit to the OP side).
Yeah? Well, you know, that's just like, your OPINION, man.

Post Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:12 pm

That's a good point about targets fleeing during the damage intake rounds.

At first I thought I'd break it into 2 parts. Like first you use the skill, you get a 2 round lag, and you can activate it again by typing the skill to unleash the damage. The damage from those 2 rounds of lag would be stored for 1 tick. But then I decided against because 1) I feel like it'd make it needlessly complicated and possibly much harder to code and 2) I don't think it fits thematically with barbarians. Storing the attack and saving it for a moment to strike doesn't seem like something a barbarian would do imo.

I think unable to flee is pretty good, though maybe instead of unable to flee make it that they drastically reduce the chance to flee. Maybe make it fail 60%-80% of the time. Combat prompt would go something like this:

Barbarian lets loose a blood curling yell and charges at you.

1.5/2 round lag.

Attack skill occurs.

It'd make sense that you'd **** your pants and stumble over yourself trying to flee if a berserking barbarian charges at you lol.

Post Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:20 pm

[quote="NoPantsuAndrew"]It'd make sense that you'd **** your pants and stumble over yourself trying to flee if a berserking barbarian charges at you lol.

That's possibly the best RP explanation of a barb skill I've seen. I'd love to see this happen.
Yeah? Well, you know, that's just like, your OPINION, man.

Return to Barbarians